Gina Ardito
A
Dementia sucks. Sundowning sucks. That's it. That's all I've got right now. If your parents are still lucid, tell them you love them. Hug them tight. It's hard enough to lose them but to lose them in this slow, agonizing process where they're physically still there but mentally gone is pure torture.
08:07 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Ann Brenoff
A
In response to Gina Ardito.
Gina (my new follow/friend) -- sounds like you are caregiving for your folks. I wrote a book on how it sucks. Oddly, it's a pretty funny book about the worst thing I ever experienced in my life. https://a.co/d/i6B3F0w
10:39 PM - Feb 25, 2023
Gina Ardito
A
In response to Ann Brenoff.
Thanks, Ann. I ordered it on Kindle! Great to make a new connection!
08:42 AM - Feb 26, 2023

Only followers of this user (knitquiltsewst1) can see their posts

Gina Ardito
A
In response to Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense.
Thanks, there are three of us dealing with it. We try to share the burden. The phone calls in the evening when she's so paranoid are the hardest part right now.
06:00 PM - Feb 22, 2023
ChingonaGordaVieja
A
08:14 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Bob Mandel
A
My dad did the NY Times crossword every day, read a book every day or two, but he could not change the channel on his remote even after I removed all but the channel up and down, and volume up and down, once dementia set in. It was a quick descent following an accident involving head trauma.
08:13 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Gina Ardito
A
In response to Bob Mandel.
You have my sincerest condolences.
08:19 PM - Feb 21, 2023
kiki@gigharbor
A
This is the club that no one wants to join. I share your pain, anger, frustration, and feeling weary of the relentless progression. Dealing with a parent that no longer recognizes you is perhaps the cruelest thing of all. Take care of yourself and cherish any moments of lucidity.
08:12 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Gina Ardito
A
In response to kiki@gigharbor.
So true. And the self-care thing? You think you've got everything under control and then one day, you're in bed by 8 pm. And the next day, same thing. And so on. It takes such a toll without you realizing it!
08:21 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Dıanna
A
It's brutal and heartbreaking. The moments you have are a bittersweet gift, at times too bitter to endure.
The losses happen continuously and without notice.
Self-care feels so wrong but you must.
08:11 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Misha Ellison
A
Gina, you gorgeous guppy. We lost mom to dementia a few years ago. My heart is with you.
08:11 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Gina Ardito
A
In response to Misha Ellison.
Thank you. (And I think I'm adding "gorgeous guppy" to my bio.) It's brutal, isn't it?
08:18 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Angela Morris
A
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. watched my grandma forget who we all were. It was a blessing when she finally passed a few months ago at age 99. I'm terrified of that happening to me and my children.
08:10 PM - Feb 21, 2023
William Tulloch
A
I am so sorry. Dad has mobility issues and had to opt for assisted living last year, but it was his choice and he's still capable of handling his own affairs. I know how lucky we are.
08:09 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Gina Ardito
A
In response to William Tulloch.
Thanks. Mom's 91. Four months ago, she was living alone, driving, handling her own bills. Had to move her to asst living when she fell and broke her shoulder. Now I get tearful phone calls every night at 7 pm because she has no idea where she is. I was with her 2 hours ago, but she doesn't remember.
08:15 PM - Feb 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}