Jess Martin
A
And here is the scientific paper available through the CDC for the #OphidascarisRobertsi - now known as the Canberra #BrainWorm zoonotic disease transmitted from Warrigal greens @JustJudith_n_ALF

@josefkonrad @minnie @sstan99 @VeeHappened60

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/29/9/23-0351_article
Jess Martin @JessMartin
What I do like about this story is when the neurosurgeons asked the biologist what the species of worm it was, he gave them his Eureka moment @joannasays :

"Oh my goodness, this is Ophidascaris robertsi."

There we go peeps, there we go.

#BrainWorm @josefkonrad @minnie @bron1us @VeeHappened60
08:41 PM - Aug 28, 2023
08:44 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
In response to Jess Martin.
Absolutely fascinating. Any time someone mentions "brain worms", I go straight to 'nigleria falerii' (sorry if I botched the spelling, I'm not an epidemiologist or immunologist) or acanthamoeba, especially as the patient lives on a warm water lake.

My favorite thing here so far today👍
09:09 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Jess Martin
A
In response to Matt Egan he/him/his.
Yep, them zoonotic diseases are going to be with us for awhile.

That Naegleria fowleri looks nasty! Spinal-fluid amoeba inhabitant indeed.

Maybe it's the natural world telling us - hey, we're still here! You're part of us!
09:55 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
Thanks for correcting my spelling, but not being condescending about it. It is a hell of a nasty parasite. Its endemic throughout the United States. I avoid going underwater when its muddy and nasty at all costs. It's colloquially known as the "Brain Eating Ameoba" around here, for good reason.
10:35 PM - Aug 28, 2023 (Edited)
Jess Martin
A
Wiki helped and I found out it was another Aussie scientist that found it (we have them heaps!).

Yes, it brings a new host of freshwater diseases I hadn't thought about @bron1us

BTW, if you've ever watched the movie #Contagion , it shows how another Aussie 😂 found the cause of tummy ulcers.
10:38 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
I just watched that like 2 weeks ago. We got remarkably lucky CoVid wasn't 20% fatal with an R0(that should read Rnaught, but this crap phone doesn't do subscripts)of 4. Half the country would be dead..
10:43 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Jess Martin
A
Fantastic! I thought it was an incredible nod to Barry and not just because he ingested the bacteria 😂 but also the fact Jennifer Ehle @MaryPocrnic played the scientist. And Jennifer is my forever Elizabeth Bennet (P&P reference).

https://www.nobelprize.org...
10:46 PM - Aug 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}