Jess Martin
A
And here is the scientific paper available through the CDC for the #OphidascarisRobertsi - now known as the Canberra #BrainWorm zoonotic disease transmitted from Warrigal greens @JustJudith_n_ALF

@josefkonrad @minnie @sstan99 @VeeHappened60

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/29/9/23-0351_article
Jess Martin @JessMartin
What I do like about this story is when the neurosurgeons asked the biologist what the species of worm it was, he gave them his Eureka moment @joannasays :

"Oh my goodness, this is Ophidascaris robertsi."

There we go peeps, there we go.

#BrainWorm @josefkonrad @minnie @bron1us @VeeHappened60
08:41 PM - Aug 28, 2023
08:44 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
In response to Jess Martin.
Absolutely fascinating. Any time someone mentions "brain worms", I go straight to 'nigleria falerii' (sorry if I botched the spelling, I'm not an epidemiologist or immunologist) or acanthamoeba, especially as the patient lives on a warm water lake.

My favorite thing here so far today👍
09:09 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Jess Martin
A
In response to Matt Egan he/him/his.
Yep, them zoonotic diseases are going to be with us for awhile.

That Naegleria fowleri looks nasty! Spinal-fluid amoeba inhabitant indeed.

Maybe it's the natural world telling us - hey, we're still here! You're part of us!
09:55 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
Thanks for correcting my spelling, but not being condescending about it. It is a hell of a nasty parasite. Its endemic throughout the United States. I avoid going underwater when its muddy and nasty at all costs. It's colloquially known as the "Brain Eating Ameoba" around here, for good reason.
10:35 PM - Aug 28, 2023 (Edited)
Jess Martin
A
Wiki helped and I found out it was another Aussie scientist that found it (we have them heaps!).

Yes, it brings a new host of freshwater diseases I hadn't thought about @bron1us

BTW, if you've ever watched the movie #Contagion , it shows how another Aussie 😂 found the cause of tummy ulcers.
10:38 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
I just watched that like 2 weeks ago. We got remarkably lucky CoVid wasn't 20% fatal with an R0(that should read Rnaught, but this crap phone doesn't do subscripts)of 4. Half the country would be dead..
10:43 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Jess Martin
A
PS Of course it wasn't fantastic that so many people still died - but fantastic that you watched the movie.

I think we did better than you in terms of our isolation as an island but the disinformation was pretty rampant here as well.
10:47 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
I'm a big fan of "Pandemic" films and books. 'The Hot Zone' was the 1st nonfiction book I enjoyed growing up in 7th grade. Richard Preston did even better than that with 'The Demon in the Freezer', detailing the eradication of smallpox. Both are highly recommended if you enjoy that kind of books!
10:51 PM - Aug 28, 2023
Jess Martin
A
The smallpox story is pretty amazing. But so are the others. I especially liked the story of the #Cholera outbreak and how #JohnSnow isolated it in London. That was a paradigm shift from blaming malodourous air, to contaminated water.

https://www.youtube.com/wa...
John Snow and the 1854 Broad Street cholera outbreak - YouTube

In 1854, cholera struck Broad Street in London. One scientist, John Snow, thought he could finally prove how this elusive killer spread.From our free online ...

11:31 PM - Aug 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}