Professor Kyle
A
I have a pedagogical question from the perspective of a biased English prof (who sees teaching organized, compelling communication as vital to everything in life): why is math required as a Gen. Ed.? To teach systems thinking? Seems like most of the math most of us use we learn by middle school...
11:50 AM - Aug 29, 2023
Athelene Gosnell
A
It would be good to rethink what kind of math classes are required. I wish everyone understood stats and data analysis. Understanding the language around those would go a long way to killing propaganda. Math related to finance is critical. Geometry is used more than you might realize too.
In response to Professor Kyle.
12:21 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Athelene Gosnell.
I think that really makes sense. And I used geometry a lot when I was a carpenter, so I overstated the "learn by middle school," although it was still math I learned in 10th grade, not college.
12:23 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Deb
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Since I think Gen. ed. as the “not going to college” crowd, geometry, some stats and household math should be required. Not sure about algebra? Certainly not trig.

I finished my hs math requirements in 10th grade. Then almost flunked out of grad school cause they tried to teach me trig.
12:34 PM - Aug 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}