Read aBannedBook
A
Do you have any literary regrets? A book that you really wish you hadn't read or wish you'd stopped reading at some point?

Mine is Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. I was warned but kept reading. Just. Don't.
07:07 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Therese Brosseau
A
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I love historical fiction, but I felt the author enjoyed writing the rape scenes way too much. Actually threw the book across the room at one point. 😬
In response to Read aBannedBook.
09:11 PM - Aug 29, 2023
elle hitter
A
In response to Therese Brosseau.
I loved this book and recommended to a friend—he also threw it across the room and dnf. 😂
To be honest, this is what finally allowed me to stop wasting time on books I didn’t enjoy!
I’ve read it several times, & while I am still a fan of the book, I’m also not a fan of the unnecessarily graphic SA
12:32 PM - Aug 30, 2023 (Edited)
Therese Brosseau
A
In response to elle hitter.
I loved the story as well. But this is the only book where I was pulled OUT of the story to seriously wonder if I was reading the author’s rape fantasies. 😬 Intensity of any kind usually pulls me deeper into the book and…omg it’s 2AM??? 😂
02:57 PM - Aug 30, 2023
Kathy Douglass
A
In response to Therese Brosseau.
I loved the first couple of Follett books that I read. Triple, The Eye of the Needle, and The Key to Rebecca were so good to me. I remember waiting for one of his books to come to the library. I don't remember the name but it was awful. I never read another of his books again.
09:27 PM - Aug 29, 2023
Therese Brosseau
A
In response to Kathy Douglass.
Yes! Me too! That’s why I stuck with this book and finished it. Never read another and def regretted finishing that one.
07:23 AM - Aug 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}