Scott Johnson
A
I see people on Facebook "praying for those in the path of the hurricane".
If you believe that actually works...why not just pray for no more hurricanes?
09:24 AM - Aug 30, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
In response to Scott Johnson.
I just have more questions. Is this question sincere? Is it rhetorical, to mock praying people? If the general ethos here is to be kind, and racism, homophobia, misogyny, anti-Canadian-ness, and even asking if people "still come on this website" are not welcomed or tolerable, where's this fit?
09:42 AM - Aug 30, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
In response to My Flying Car 2020.
You're reading a whole lot into this.
If this question is seen as mocking, it seems to indicate that you think it's obvious that a prayer like that would never be answered.
I'd love to hear your response to the question though.
09:57 AM - Aug 30, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
My questions indicate that in my lived experience, your original question is usually intended to mock people. Which is why I pointedly asked for clarification. I'd love to hear your answers to my questions, as well.
10:01 AM - Aug 30, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
The question is sincere. Respecting people is important. I don't necessarily need to respect a belief though.
It seems that you would rather not answer my question, which is fine. There was a time when the question would have made me uncomfortable too.
10:07 AM - Aug 30, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
I'm really glad you're saying it's a sincere question.

You're reading too much into me not answering your question by assigning discomfort to my refusal to reply until you stated your intentions.

I don't think it makes sense to opine on why your FB friends pray how they do. Did you ask them?
10:14 AM - Aug 30, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
So you would still rather not answer. Okay.
10:21 AM - Aug 30, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
Oh, you clocked that? 🙂 Me and you, we're good, but trust is earned and we're not there yet.
10:24 AM - Aug 30, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
It's a simple question. You don't need to trust someone just to answer a question. But your refusal to answer seems to confirm my assumption of discomfort on your part.
10:27 AM - Aug 30, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
Think what you want, feel how you feel. I'm not Marty McFly.
10:29 AM - Aug 30, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
I don't get the analogy, sorry.
Some of my friends on FB are also election deniers (coincidentally, many of those are the ones in my original post). When I ask them for evidence, the "answer" is always "Just do your own research".
Our chat feels a lot like that.
10:33 AM - Aug 30, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
Also, "do your own research" always incenses me, too. The lack of accountability is a danger to us all.
10:39 AM - Aug 30, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
You really might like the Back to the Future movies, that's where it's from. Marty was a nice enough guy, but he would do whatever thing anyone dared him to do if they called him a chicken, just to prove himself. I won't spoil the rest for you.
10:37 AM - Aug 30, 2023
Scott Johnson
A
Oh, I knew who Marty McFly was. Loved that movie (don't remember much about the sequels). I just didn't recall his personality trait of having to prove himself on a dare.
I think we agree on a lot of things.
10:41 AM - Aug 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}