Josef Konrad
A
thread 1/16
There has been some debate over the past day whether to follow everyone who follows you. I don’t think doing so is necessary (and I don’t judge anyone who does either). There are no clear rules or etiquette, and everyone should swim these waters how they like.

Here's my thinking...
01:18 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 2/16
A surge in follower counts comes with unique challenges. The influx of interactions can be overwhelming. Can you really and truly engage with hundreds let alone thousands of followers?

Sorry. I cannot.
01:19 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 3/16
Reciprocity matters, but authenticity is more vital to me. I believe genuine interactions arise from shared connections and real thoughtful conversations, versus merely "collecting" people.
01:19 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 4/16
I believe that curating my feed is key. I avoid "doom scrolling" by tailoring my content. I want to be able to balance my concerns about the world with some laughter. I want to forge a digital space that uplifts me while keeping me informed.

Randomly following people discourages this.
01:20 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 5/16
I believe that curation is a testament to the values and ideals you hold dear. Who you choose to follow is not just a reflection of your preferences; it's a silent endorsement of those individuals and their content. Your feed becomes a representation of your values and the authenticity you champion.
01:21 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 6/16
I often look at who my favorite accounts are following to unearth hidden treasures. You can discover perspectives and stories that might have otherwise gone unnoticed this way, which can expand your horizons, broadens your worldview, and adds layers of depth to your social media experience.
01:22 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 7/16
But again, there is an inherent “vouching for others” when this occurs. When I imagine people are looking at who I follow, I feel that I need to "follow responsibly", and not randomly.
01:23 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 8/16
Twitter has made me more cautious about inviting strangers into my social media feed. The practice of scrutinizing profiles, interactions, and engagement has become a natural part of my approach. Twitter has taught me the importance of guarding my online space.
01:23 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 9/16
I want to ensure that those I follow align with my values, at least in some way, and contribute positively to both mine and others’ experiences.
01:24 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 10/16
While I don't follow everyone, when someone does engage with me, I take the time to assess their profile. I review their interactions, echoing habits, likes, and most importantly, the tone of their replies to others. This holds more weight than simply being prompted to follow them when they do.
01:25 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 11/16
Indeed, I resist the pressure to follow people solely for their popularity or recs from others. I’ve passed on some popular accounts because their raison d'être is based in narcissism, they gang up and bully others for sport, or they punch down and never seem to lift others up except themselves.
01:27 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 12/16
I prefer to actively seek out diverse and marginalized voices, as their perspectives often challenge my understanding and contribute to my personal growth, and whose ideas are often muffled by the “white noise” that is prevalent on social media.
01:27 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 13/16
Engaging with these less popular voices allows me to continuously learn and become a better person.
01:28 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 14/16
I believe that no obligation exists to follow others based on external pressures, and who wants that type of pressure?
Josef Konrad
A
thread 15/16
In recent years, our ability to think critically has grown, and this applies to our social media decisions as well.

Moreover, your journey through these waters is your canvas to paint. Please be true to yourself.
Josef Konrad
A
thread 16/16
Following someone here is an act of mindfulness for me. It should align with my authentic self.

I believe that in curating thoughtfully, engaging authentically, and uplifting others along the way, I can shape my Spoutible experience to best reflect not only who I am, but who I want to be.

/30
01:30 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Susan Simon
A
In response to Josef Konrad.
This is extremely well stated and very much a needed perspective. Since we are the algorithm we need to be mindful of both the work and the responsibility inherent in that task. I want to know what's happening, laugh and be enlightened and listen to voices that might not otherwise show in my world.
07:21 PM - Sep 02, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
In response to Susan Simon.
Thank you for taking the time to read it!
08:56 AM - Sep 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}