Rivka
A
thread 1/9
I recently participated in a focus group about early childhood costs and it reminded me of how different people think and are aware of things. Example:
09:30 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Rivka
A
thread 2/9
I gave birth to my 2nd son accidentally at home. I say accidentally because we didn't have time to get to the hospital, so essentially an unplanned home birth. I won't get into the whole birth story. I had 1 son already, 15 months old.
09:32 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Rivka
A
thread 3/9
2nd son was born in early January in NYC so its around 20° outside. In my home there was my husband's uncle, my mother in law, 4 EMT personnel and of course husband. Mother in law and uncle were there to pick up my older son, to look after while I was in hospital with 2nd.
09:33 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Rivka
A
thread 4/9
As we didn't have time to get to the hospital, 2 people called 911, resulting in the 4 EMTs. Not the way I wanted to give birth but it was quick with no complications. By the time I was ready to go to the hospital, which you have to do when it's unplanned home birth,
09:35 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Rivka
A
thread 5/9
I was soaking wet, only in a birthing gown and some towels that were sort of wrapped around my lap in the wheelchair. I had my newborn in my arms in a mylar blanket. My husband was going to get my bag and meet us at the hospital.
09:37 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Rivka
A
thread 6/9
I'm wheeled out into the open air to get to the ambulance and I have no socks, no shoes, no phone, no pants and reminder that I'm soaking wet and now shivering. Both from the cold and the hormone release. No purse, no phone,
just myself and the baby.
09:38 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Rivka
A
thread 7/9
I get to the hospital and get to L&D so my Dr can deliver the placenta and do some slight sewing. Baby is safe and warm. I realize that I have nothing with me and have to ask the nurse to borrow a phone to tell my husband what room I'm in.
09:39 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Rivka
A
thread 8/9
I'm thinking he's on his way or something. He hadn't even left the house. He didn't show up until maybe 4 hours later. All that to say, I had just given birth and no one had the ability to think about what I might need leaving the house with a baby in my arms in the middle of winter and covid.
09:41 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Rivka
A
thread 9/9
I didn't think about it at the time but it shows me that had I had a friend or my own mom there, someone would have anticipated that, and that's the type of mental load that mothers and women are constantly going through. It seems so obvious.
09:42 AM - Sep 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}