Cynthia Williams
A
When I was in high school, I was required to read "The Jungle" in my English class. The book is considered an American classic. It tells the fictionalized story of true worker abuses in the meatpacking industry of the early 1900s. The worker abuses were so horrific, I literally vomited reading this.
08:59 AM - Sep 04, 2023
Lisette Blanco-Cerda
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
It’s a powerhouse of a book, for sure.
12:47 PM - Sep 04, 2023
elle hitter
A
This was such a phenomenal, yet depressing, devastating, read. Highly recommend.
I have, in anger and incredulity, thrown out—“have you never read The Jungle!?!?” during arguments Re regulations on a good number of occasions.
09:42 AM - Sep 04, 2023
ss m
A
I read this in college. Shocking! We learned that the consequences at the time of publication were regulations to make meat safer for consumers, not so much making the work place safer for the employees ( the true intent).
09:41 AM - Sep 04, 2023
♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell
A
I told my husband last night I never read THE JUNGLE and want to.
09:16 AM - Sep 04, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to ♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell.
Is you decide to read this book...which I highly recommend...keep a glass of Sprite or seltzer by your side. You can take a sip whenever your stomach starts to feel queasy while reading the book. 🥴
09:23 AM - Sep 04, 2023
Deb
A
I became a vegetarian after reading this book.
09:15 AM - Sep 04, 2023
Creative AF (She/Her)
A
Definitely left an impression on me as well. Seems we have gone back around to that, or perhaps never left?

I wonder how many students are reading it these days?
09:03 AM - Sep 04, 2023
HereWe GoAgain
A
In response to Creative AF (She/Her).
I wonder if it’s a banned book?
09:21 AM - Sep 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}