Theatreof Phillip
A
This week's Writing Notes video discusses my provisional policy about #ChatGPT use for my business #writing courses. I take a pretty lax view of the issue, and in this video I explain why I do so. #teaching
My Provisional ChatGPT Policy for Business Writing Classes--Writing Notes - YouTube

After our second day of Business Writing this semester, when I had gone over the course policies from the syllabus, a student asked me after class about my C...

11:07 AM - Sep 01, 2023
Steven Aufrecht
A
In response to Theatreof Phillip.
I appreciate the idea of not starting with the assumption you need to police your students. But saying it’s ok to use, but if I think you used it, it’s not ok will seem contradictory. What you’re really saying is: if you pull it off and I can’t tell, you’re safe.
11:00 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Theatreof Phillip
A
I'm not sure I see that as contradictory, so much as real world writing advice for professional writers. If I'm in a business setting, using ChatGPT only bites me if I get caught using it and there are negative consequences. If I use it and no one ever notices, then I've got another tool to help.
In response to Steven Aufrecht.
10:00 AM - Sep 04, 2023
Steven Aufrecht
A
In response to Theatreof Phillip.
That’s a good description of committing a crime, isn’t it? I don’t disagree with your approach to ChatGPT, which is less dogmatic and critical than many faculty reactions. But I suspect students who get caught will legitimately reply, ‘But you said we could use it.’
10:28 AM - Sep 04, 2023
Steven Aufrecht
A
In response to Steven Aufrecht.
If your grading criteria are clear, and they’re graded down for not meeting them, not for using Chat/GPT, then you’re fine. If ChatGPT plagiarizes and that violates your criteria, you’re good. Maybe even require they tell you if they used ChatGPT somehow after grading as you test your policy.
10:44 AM - Sep 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}