Desdemona
A
So I had 20 chicks in the spring to eventually add to the coop full of hens. 3 turned out to be roosters I had 2 Orpies I named Chuck and Camilla. Chuck left the coop a few weeks ago so I'm left with Mr. Chips the Lavender Orpington and Leif the Barnelveder. Leif crows Mr Chips tries.
06:38 PM - Sep 07, 2023 (Edited)
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
In response to Desdemona.
I have two roosters, a Buff Brahma and a White Cochin. They get along for the most part. There is some chest bumping over the ladies now and then, but no real fights.
06:42 PM - Sep 07, 2023
Desdemona
A
In response to Jennifer Moore Baker.
If they're raised together they usually are fine. Just a few quibbles but other than that they're okay. There's over 30 hens so they should be happy when I let them in the big coop.
06:44 PM - Sep 07, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
My Cochin is younger, but came in with 5 hens so the Buff didn’t seem to mind. It’s an 8x24’ coop with a good sized yard so not being crowded helps. Total of 13 chickens right now. One of my Cochin ladies is sitting on eggs, so we may grow.
06:46 PM - Sep 07, 2023
Desdemona
A
I just love my birds and it sounds like you have a nice coop going. I've never had Cochins. I love my Orpies, Rhode Island Blues and Reds. I have one Brahma. She was an accident but a real sweetheart.
06:55 PM - Sep 07, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
Brahmas are such laid back chickens, they are my favorite. I also have partridge rocks.
07:56 PM - Sep 07, 2023
Desdemona
A
They are. It sounds like you have a lovely mix of backyard hens. I have a few Barred Rocks but have never tried the Partridge I'm always up for a different breed.
02:55 PM - Sep 08, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
Mine are chosen more for a docile personality than anything else. No bullying in my coop is a goal.
03:30 PM - Sep 08, 2023
Desdemona
A
Absolutely. Barnelveders are the most docile hens I have. Sometimes the Buffs can get a bit bossy and the Reds can be a hand full at times. I have a time out coop if it gets a bit much. I also have a retirement coop for the older girls who don't lay as frequently. That often helps with the bullying.
07:09 PM - Sep 08, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
I ended up with a Rhode Island Red rooster by mistake. I had to carry a snow shovel into the coop with me, he was that mean.
07:24 PM - Sep 08, 2023
Desdemona
A
You can't have a mean one around. I had a Buff who would greet me with his feet to my face, that only happened twice. I re-homed him.
02:52 PM - Sep 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}