Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/8
Why the fuck were people so desperate to "go back to normal" post-covid? Hell, why is virtually ANY change to the perceived status quo met with knee-jerk rage and hate? What the fuck is so great about the status quo?
11:49 PM - Sep 09, 2023 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/8
I get it for the rich, big business owners, and powerful officials- the status quo was by and large working for them. But everyone else? Is it just that people are so afraid of losing even the scraps they have that they see any attempt for better as a deadly threat?
11:51 PM - Sep 09, 2023 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/8
I mean what's so bad about more outdoor dining, or better ventilation, or more people working from home instead of spending hours in congested commutes, polluting the air and having accidents and paying more for fuel? Even aside from covid, these were all genuine improvements.
11:53 PM - Sep 09, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 4/8
I mean for Christ's sake, that first year of Covid, we almost eliminated the flu. AND THEN WE BROUGHT IT BACK, because wearing a mask sometimes was too high a price to virtually eliminate a disease that killed tens of thousands a year BEFORE covid.
11:55 PM - Sep 09, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 5/8
We could have used covid as the push to genuinely make a better, healthier, more equitable world. Just like we could by adapting to climate change.

But no, let's fuck it all so we can desperately cling to the illusion of a "normal" that we all hated to begin with. Just like our wealthy masters want
11:56 PM - Sep 09, 2023 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 6/8
Fuck, I didn't even get into the health care crisis.

At the start of covid, health care workers were our heroes. We could have responded with a massive push to better fund health care. Instead, we made them the villains, and placed all the burden on them while leaving them even more underfunded.
12:17 AM - Sep 10, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 7/8
Covid relief payments could have been the beginning of a genuine basic income, a guaranteed safety net that could have helped largely eliminate poverty. Same for providing housing to get the unhoused out of crowded encampments where the disease could spread.

But no.
12:19 AM - Sep 10, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 8/8
So much preventable death. So many squandered opportunities. So much pointless waste.

I'm not really a fan of misanthropy, but if ever there's been an argument for it, our collective response to COVID is it.

And we're already moving down the same path on a bigger scale with the climate crisis.
12:22 AM - Sep 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}