Maggie Waters
A
This is my first real thread attempt so sorry if it doesn't work. This is a ramble about what I see as community growing pains - feel free to skip it. 1/
02:03 AM - Sep 10, 2023 (Edited)
Maggie Waters
A
In response to Maggie Waters.
I consider my account here a public space so I get that not all the content is for me, nor will it all be to my liking. I do feel like there has been an increase in judgement about topic choices. It's a big platform and people are going to use it differently. 2/
02:05 AM - Sep 10, 2023 (Edited)
Maggie Waters
A
Over time I've learned to not engage with statements that are imo overly broad and simplified. I'm hypersensitive about critical statements so I ignore them unless I'm specifically mentioned. 3/
02:07 AM - Sep 10, 2023
Maggie Waters
A
Some days I come here and enjoy some silliness and common interest interactions. Some days I'm here for more serious topics like US and world political content. Other days I'm here for social justice and climate justice content. 4/
02:09 AM - Sep 10, 2023
Maggie Waters
A
I believe there is room for all of that. And yes, I get that this is a privileged approach. Going forward it's clear to me that I'm going to need to use various tools provided to set activity on my timeline. 5/
02:10 AM - Sep 10, 2023
Maggie Waters
A
That said I have some boundaries about what I will consume. I don't participate in dehumanizing or profanity laden name calling especially when directed at specific users (but also regarding public figures). I'm going to be sympathetic to those who are targeted in this way. 6/
02:13 AM - Sep 10, 2023
Maggie Waters
A
I don't care for meanness or sarcasm designed to be hurtful. I believe it is unethical and self diminishing. 7/
02:14 AM - Sep 10, 2023
Maggie Waters
A
In general I will mute and/or unfollow. Occasionally I will block. I typically don't bother pushing back because I find people in those situations don't care who they might bother. And if I get to the point where it's too unpleasant I will take a break. 8/
02:15 AM - Sep 10, 2023
Maggie Waters
A
Thanks for hanging out till the end. I hope we are able to keep building an inclusive and meaningful experience. I hope I end up a net positive in that activity. 9/end
02:16 AM - Sep 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}