Steven Beschloss
A
“Over and over, I watched the replay of the commercial airplanes flying straight into the towers…The world would not be the same again.”

What Do You Remember about 9/11? Check out nearly 200 remembrances from readers of that terrible day and join the conversation.

https://america.substack.com
04:17 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Michelle Horrocks
A
In response to Steven Beschloss.
I was driving to work when the first plane. I was listening to the radio and the crew were always joking around. One of them broke in to say the WTC had been hit by a plane. It seemed like my brain froze until I realized he was not joking.

I was on the phone with my then BF. 1/2
09:12 AM - Sep 11, 2023
Michelle Horrocks
A
In response to Michelle Horrocks.
He was watching TV when the second plan hit and told me. I told my co workers. Silence, then an explosion of voices and no answers to give.

It took me years before I could watch any footage. Even now, I can't always watch it.

Definitely traumatic.
09:19 AM - Sep 11, 2023
Leslie
A
I was working at a golf course watching the sprinklers water the first tee on that sunny morning. Could not have been a more peaceful start to the day. And then? Everything changed. In an instant.
10:45 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Bonnie Ivanish
A
I'd taken my brother to work very early & was relaxing on the porch. Mom said "Turn on the tv, a plane just struck the WTC." I'd visited there....unimaginable! I could only gasp: "THOSE POOR PEOPLE!" A horrific accident. Then we saw the second plane hit. SAW IT. Instantly: this was no accident. 1/2
06:34 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Bonnie Ivanish
A
In response to Bonnie Ivanish.
More memories: a gorgeous Sept. day, then life grew silent & somber. Unnerving LOUD jet flyover that night. No planes. Constant coverage. News worsened. Few survivors. Responders killed. Sept. crickets now reminders of ghostly homing beepers. Grieving heavy loss. Flag-flying surged everywhere. 2/2
06:36 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Wendy W
A
Hubby called me about the WTC attack. He wanted to meet me for lunch, after he went to Bank of America Hdqtrs to fix something. (We're in Charlotte) A local radio station said BofA might be a target for a plane. Called hubby in panic & he was evacuating. I was >600 miles from NYC & terrified.
06:24 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Dr K
A
I was grading papers on my sofa in Houston w/no TV on. It was a day I didn’t have to go on campus. My only sister, a corporate attorney, was calling to say she was okay. I turned on the TV at her insistence. Turns out she was there in Manhattan nr the site on a work trip. She got to NJ, drove to TN
05:07 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Andrea Loken
A
Everyone in the office thought the first plane was an accident. When the second plane hit, I knew it wasn’t. We scrambled & found a wee 13” tv to watch. Being in Ottawa, we feared 🇨🇦 might be next. There were no emergency protocols to follow. All we could do was stay put & try to learn more.
05:00 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Florida Redhead
A
I was in the car taking my dog to a groomer appointment; listening to Howard Stern when
it all happened. It was unbelievable.
04:45 PM - Sep 10, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
I remember sitting in my car, outside the hospital, listening to NPR like the words were another language. I couldn't make sense of it. I literally had to first understand that they were reporting a live event. And it was inconceivable. None of us were ready for 9 am rounds that day.
04:21 PM - Sep 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}