LeeSaunders72
B
Update on the UK for my US friends:

Brexit is still not done

Boris avoided more scrutiny on the infamous parties, and we're paying his legal bills, though he's just spent £4million on a new home

And the country has run out of salad, supermarkets are rationing tomatoes

All perfectly normal
06:46 PM - Feb 22, 2023 (Edited)
Bill Horton
A
In response to LeeSaunders72.
As an American with a rudimentary knowledge of Brexit, were all of these issue precipitated by the desire to close the borders? Keeping out the undesirable people of the EU?
08:18 PM - Feb 22, 2023
LeeSaunders72
B
In response to Bill Horton.
For some people it was racism, but there's been a long feeling of Euro Sceptism since we joined in the 1970's. It got worse with the changes the EU advanced including open borders. Many voted leave just for autonomy to not be tied to EU rules. Many were also racist. Uk was always reluctant partner.
03:52 AM - Feb 23, 2023
Bill Horton
A
I'm not an economist, but to my mind being a member of the EU would be financially lucrative. I imagine if all 50 US states were separate countries. Some would be wealthy, some would be poor, but individually most would be worse financially. For this we live with the dregs of humanity...
In response to LeeSaunders72.
06:17 AM - Feb 23, 2023
LeeSaunders72
B
In response to Bill Horton.
That was the problem, Britan didn't want to be a small state in the United States of Europe, it just wanted economic cooperation not government. The USA wouldn't want to be one country in the United States of All America's and follow laws from Mexico or Brazil. Autonomy was their argument.
10:15 AM - Feb 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}