JournoActivist
A
"Under a utility patent, #farmers can no longer save seed for replanting on their own farms. University scientists even face restrictions on the kind of research they can perform on patented crops."

#agriculture
12:43 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Lizzie
A
In response to JournoActivist.
This impacts so many in our community. Even the farmers who don't use patented seed but have neighbors who do, cannot save their seed because of cross pollination. It's insane the power these corporations have.
01:31 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Thistlebloom Farm
A
In response to Lizzie.
Given my farm's location and current production, I'm lucky so far in not having to deal with cross-pollination issues, but we all have to pay a lot more attention to how badly corporate greed has affected #agriculture . The effect on food/environmental health, sustainability and equity is mounting.
09:30 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Lizzie
A
In response to Thistlebloom Farm.
You are lucky.
We're doing our best to incorporate more sustainable practices into production but it makes it difficult to make ends meet.
People are so accustomed to buying cheap food they balk at anything above grocery store prices without considering how costly that food is in other ways.
10:13 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Thistlebloom Farm
A
In response to Lizzie.
Exactly. We face that here too, but this is a college town that can indulge in "boutique" local products to a certain extent. (Also, I recently found out that the local supermarkets are selling conventional eggs at nearly 2x the price of the stores that sell the ones from my organically fed hens.)
11:17 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Lizzie
A
Off topic: We lived in a college town once. Everything was so much more expensive and the average age of the general population never changed.
Although I loved the access to enhanced cultural and educational events, I hated how quickly I, the mother of toddlers, seemed to be aging in comparison.
06:23 AM - Feb 23, 2023
Thistlebloom Farm
A
In response to Lizzie.
That's an interesting point I'd never really thought much about. I chose not to have kids (personal reasons), and I teach at one of the colleges here (music, not farming). But yeah, that constant age demographic is odd. I rather like it most of the time, but do need to reset periodically.
09:52 PM - Feb 25, 2023
Lizzie
A
My grown children do not want children either-- also personal reasons. And I can certainly see the appeal of being surrounded by a younger demographic. Had I been in a different place in my life I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more.
10:01 PM - Feb 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}