Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 1/7
We’re almost halfway through are “late honeymoon” in Japan. Yesterday’s highlight was definitely Miyazaki Hayao’s “Kimitachi was dō ikiru ka?” (“The Boy and the Heron”, lit. “How do you live?”). But let me tell you about our whole day. 🧵
07:47 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 2/7
We first went to Harajuku, to have a stroll along Takeshita Dōri. It was Sunday, so the street was a bit crowded, but we managed to do some shopping at Daisō – a 100-yen shop – and eat some delicious crêpes (crêpes are so much better than pancakes, BTW).
07:51 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 3/7
After that, we went to Ōta Kinen Bijutsukan, which held an exhibition of bijinga: wood block prints showing beautiful Japanese women. They were magnificent pieces of art, but the museum had a strict no photos policy, so I have no pictures to show, unfortunately.
07:56 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 4/7
From the museum, we went deeper into Shibuya proper to have a coffee at Doutor (our favourite café from 10 years ago), eat some udon at Hanamaru Udon and do some shopping at a supermarket called Life.
08:01 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 5/7
To let our feet rest, we went to Tōhō cinemas and watched Miyazaki’s latest film. It was Studio Ghibli at its best. Although I am more of a Takahata guy, I enjoy Miyazaki’s imagination and the themes he uses in his works.
08:03 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 6/7
In “Kimitachi wa dō ikiru ka?” he takes some inspirations from his own experiences and these slice of life elements of the story are really moving. There’s also a fantasy side to it, with an enormous paralel world of wonders, where the main character must grow and make an important choice.
08:13 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 7/7
All in all, it is a moving tale about acceptance and coming to terms with loss. I would compare it with “Spirited Away”, but this one is bolder, more mature and more personal. You should all see it when it gets released in your countries.
08:16 PM - Sep 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}