Jared Prophet
A
Aquaman (2018) was a buddy film w/ Aquaman/Mera. The movie made over $1B.

Aquaman 2 has him w/ the creepy Conjuring dude, while Amber Heard's Mera apparently dies during the inciting incident.

David Zaslav is an idiot.

#Aquaman #Aquaman2 #DCEU #dccomics #firedavidzaslav #mera #amberheard
07:43 PM - Sep 14, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Jared Prophet.
Do you have a source confirming that? The trailer doesn't show it, and I've seen nothing about it on fan sites, Youtube comments, or in news coverage so far.

I could see them pulling that (even aside from the hate mob, Hollywood loves fridging its female leads). But I'd like confirmation.
01:55 AM - Sep 15, 2023
Jared Prophet
A
Countless screenwriting classes. During the trailer there's a line about a thing happening that killed people. And we see him come back to devastation, and we see her trapped in a place trying to break out. And she's not on the adventure. She fridged. Maybe she get's unfridged at the end, but...
In response to Anton Brakhage.
05:43 AM - Sep 15, 2023
Jared Prophet
A
So yeah, I'm not rushing out to see the movie. And I'm not resubscribing to Max unless/until S3 of The Sex Lives of College Girls/Velma S2, which both might not happen, even though both were renewed. So I'm probably wait for Flash/Aquaman 2 to go on sale for $5 on VOD or end up on Tubi to see them.
05:55 AM - Sep 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
I'm planning to see it in theatres to show support for Heard.

I also enjoyed the first film, and its the kind of film I would go see, but due to the train wreck of the DCEU, I wouldn't otherwise.

Still, the trailer makes me think it might be fun- if they don't do something stupid like fridging.
07:34 AM - Sep 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
1/3

It could certainly go that way, though I hope it doesn't, both because it would be lazy, cliche, and sexist use of fridging, and because given the context, it'll basically be there for Depp fans/incels to cheer as they fantasize about Heard being killed.

But I have an alternate interpretation
05:54 AM - Sep 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
2/3
During the burning house scene, if you freeze/zoom in, you can see Mera as one of those running toward the house. That scene clearly happens at least a little way into the film, and its clearly not the scene where she's trapped underwater. So if she dies, it's likely not at the start of the film
05:56 AM - Sep 15, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}