__C E__
A
For the first time since becoming atheist, I had a door knock from a christian (maybe mormon?) missionary. They asked "Do you believe god listens to our prayers?" What's a response that's impactful, yet respectful, and sends a clear message they are wasting their time at my house?
01:38 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Jay Detrick
A
In response to __C E__.
They are warned by whoever sent them out that they will be treated rudely. Then when they inevitably are they go back to the church and are told they are the victims of those rude non-believers. It sets in the us vs them mentality even more. I'm an atheist but always try to at least be polite.
01:22 PM - Feb 23, 2023
__C E__
A
In response to Jay Detrick.
I don't think I have it in me to be impolite. At the same time, I want to convey that it's ignorant and insulting to knock on someone's door and think that you can/should try to change their beliefs.
01:30 PM - Feb 23, 2023
Jay Detrick
A
I guess I don't have a ready answer for what to say. It has only happened a few times to me. I usually just tell them I am an atheist or not interested and say goodbye. I just know others who have said some awful things and I don't see what that accomplishes. I do agree that it is insulting.
In response to __C E__.
01:34 PM - Feb 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}