Timara (she/her)
A
thread 1/22
It goes without saying that layoffs affect those historically excluded the most. So when I start to see more roles requiring degrees, even after years of companies campaigning that they won't, I have a theory.

Stay with me...
04:08 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 2/22
In short, systemic racism thrives on ensuring those historically excluded painfully understand their place in this world. That's literally why the US won't see things like universal healthcare until systemic racism is abolished.

I don't see that happening though...
04:11 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 3/22
But back to the theory, college is seen as a privilege and not a basic right. That's why it's expensive as hell. It wasn't always that way, so I encourage you to research why it changed. Yes, the answer is related to racism.
04:14 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 4/22
Because it's a privilege, some companies literally have internships that are unpaid. I ask you to consider why an internship would be unpaid. Who does it benefit? Hell, who can work for free? Yes, it's related to racism.
04:15 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 5/22
So we already know we have a specific demographic that's guaranteed to fly through college. By fly, I mean they're admitted because of their legacy, their parents donate large sums to the university, or they have someone doing their work for them.

Yes, look this up.
04:20 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 6/22
Do these things make for great employees? No.

Does college give them a leg up? Absolutely, and it isn't just because of the degree. It's because they've networked.

So when they leave college they're able to maneuver professionally in ways others simply aren't.
04:22 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 7/22
Others, like myself, are excluded not just by the hardships it takes to make it to college and graduate, but also by the fact that these circles are intentionally sustained by who they leave out as much as who they let in.
04:23 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 8/22
So you have these people in selected networks. They're moving to and from leadership positions because they can. When they see opportunities at work to cut corners, they start the layoff process.

Who is getting laid off? It isn't them.
04:24 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 9/22
So while this population of people has been streamlined to rise to the top regardless of whether it's deserved or not, the historically excluded have been intentionally pipelined to not. And it shows...
04:26 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 10/22
But what does a degree requirement have to do with this?

Companies tend to stick degree requirements on roles because they're lazy. They know it will shrink the candidate pool and; therefore, make things easier for the talent team and hiring managers.
04:27 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 11/22
But I'm not talking about that. At least, not in this case.

Our youngest workers are Gen Z. They're diverse, educated, and don't give a fuck. They will start a job one day and quit the very next day. And I think it's because they realize how fucked we all are and they've simply unsubscribed.
04:29 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 12/22
And then we have COVID. How many people has COVID killed? In what professions did those people work?
04:30 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 13/22
Historically, younger workers would take on entry-level and service jobs. It makes sense in a way.

But Gen is literally saying fuck that.

We also have this tricky situation of whether companies want to offer remote work or not.
04:32 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 14/22
COVID proved that most companies can work remotely. COVID forced companies to and to senior leaders' surprise, they performed significantly well while working remotely.

But this is where it gets tricky because remote work put power into employees' hands.
04:34 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 15/22
And while some companies suffered, you see them still make up the difference when they used the "inflation" to price gouge.
04:35 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 16/22
So we have a few problems employers need to solve for.

They need to make sure employees know their place. They need to create an environment to force them back into the office. They need to fill the service roles that frankly no one wants to work.
04:36 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 17/22
And this brings us back to layoffs affecting those historically excluded more drastically than their peers. And the degree requirement being a not-so-obvious way to discriminate.
04:37 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 18/22
Also, I failed to mention that climate change is literally killing us. Look up what communities tend to be affected most by climate change. Yes, it's related to racism.
04:39 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 19/22
Oh, and I failed to mention...laws are being enacted to either subjugate everyone (except white men) or kill those who won't get in line. Or allow those who kill us (cops) to get away with it when they circumvent the legal system.
04:41 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 20/22
The employment landscape is literally creating failsafes for white men while not so quietly trying to shift everyone else into positions that white men deem they should or shouldn't have.
04:43 PM - Sep 18, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 21/22
And the historically excluded will not survive this because in order to be historically excluded the systems that sustain us also work to retain us in an historically excluded status.
04:44 PM - Sep 18, 2023 (Edited)
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 22/22
I'd love to hope that we all (historically excluded) could come together. Although being historically excluded we are the global majority.

But one of the facets of power is money. And that's quite literally been held from us, even when we're the ones generating it.
04:46 PM - Sep 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}