Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense
A
thread 1/15
I'm gonna tell y'all the related story of racism in the Catholic prep school I attended, re: detentions for dress code violations.

Le Thread
Brian Keith Jackson @bkjwordplay
School to prison pipeline is real.
08:23 AM - Sep 19, 2023
10:06 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 2/15
Before the school went to the typical Catholic school uniform, we had a dress code. Khaki or navy pants or skirts (not above the knee); white, light blue, or navy polo shirts, button shirts & sweaters; belts if your garment had belt loops; socks must match your pants or skirt. Pretty mundane.
10:08 AM - Sep 19, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 3/15
As teens do, they began to test the limits of the dress code. A button-front blue shirt with a different colored pocket. Pink socks. A striped vest over a shirt. Nothing serious.

The more they got away with it, the bolder they became. Yellow shirts. Grey pants. No socks. Heels instead of flats.
10:10 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 4/15
Again, nothing extraordinary. However, the principal and many of the teaching staff were agitated by such boldness. We began to hear rumors of students who broke dress code getting after-school detentions.

To that point, I'd never broken dress code. So I wanted to try something after three...
10:12 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 5/15
...Black students, and ONLY those three Black students, were given detention.

I wore a pink button-front shirt to school and received a detention after first period class.

Side note: I was a member of both the school newspaper and yearbook staff. So I had a plan.
10:14 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 6/15
1) Had yb and newspaper photographers load their cameras with color film.

2) Had photographers take photos of every student they saw that week who was out of dress code.

3) Had students in photos hold that day's newspaper in the photos so we could see the dates.

Then we waited and took notes.
10:16 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 7/15
Of the approximately three dozen students who received one days' detention for every dress code violation, none of them were:
1) White
2) From wealthy families
3) Seniors

Students who received detentions went back to wearing the standard dress code. Others, of course, did not.
10:17 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 8/15
Under the guise of writing a story about the ins and outs of being a Catholic school principal and a board member, I got an interview with Fr. L and two board members whose children, btw, had violated dress code but never received detention.

Then I went into the meeting with...
10:20 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 9/15
... our staff mentor, the photographers, and the students who'd received detentions.

Fr. L tried to shut down the meeting. One board member said no, let's hear this.

Brought out the photos. Cross-referenced them with assigned detentions and notations in the students' records of school violations.
10:22 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 10/15
Asked the board members if they thought it was acceptable that their children had been exempt from serving detention when other students hadn't been.

Damn right I pointed out the differences in race and status.

And then made our demands:

1) Rescind record of these students' detentions
10:24 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 11/15
2) And/or assign detentions to all the other students who hadn't received them (and here's the evidence, with dates of said violations).

3) Apologize to these students in particular.

4) Allow a warning and a grace period before handing out detentions.

Results were swift, and here's why:
10:26 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 12/15
This was the only Catholic prep school in the county. They could not afford any kind of press that even hinted at racist and classist procedures or ideology.

The one board member who wanted to hear us was, surprisingly, not a douchcanoe.

Fr. L, it turns out, was already under scrutiny for...
10:27 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 13/15
...other worse behaviors that didn't come to light until after his death.

All uniform violations and detentions were removed from the records of the students who received them

A school-wide warning went out and students were given til the end of the week to comply with uniform code.
10:30 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 14/15
Fr. L tried to have me removed from the yb and newspaper staff. I told him "not without a lawyer." I remained.

The following year, the standard Catholic school uniform was issued, with no modifications of any sort allowed.

I graduated as a National Merit Scholar in the top 5 of my class.
10:31 AM - Sep 19, 2023
A
thread 15/15
Fr. L retired and, after his death, was exposed as having committed several acts of sexual harassment toward girls at the school.

Fin
10:32 AM - Sep 19, 2023
DMA Anderson
A
In response to Liz N Is Tired of the Nonsense.
Title-card-over-the-credits update request, please! What happened to your staff mentor because his supporting you and the others would surely have ended his career...?
05:32 PM - Sep 23, 2023
A
In response to DMA Anderson.
She taught there for a few more years and then moved away when her husband got a new job somewhere on the East coast. Idk what she did after that.
05:55 PM - Sep 23, 2023
Ozark Individual
B
Thank you Liz for sharing this!
12:19 PM - Sep 20, 2023
Ozark Individual
B
Awesome! Respect for standing your ground, and bravery!
12:18 PM - Sep 20, 2023
Barbara Banfield
A
GREAT THREAD. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
11:45 AM - Sep 20, 2023
Jennifer G.
A
In response to Barbara Banfield.
Thank you for sharing this.
07:44 AM - Sep 21, 2023
R H
A
Thank you Liz! Job well done.
12:38 PM - Sep 19, 2023
Thee NW Mankiller Magpie
A
Excellent, Liz! And good for you for taking the fight to the Board.

Echoing this thread.
12:11 PM - Sep 19, 2023

Only followers of this user (Myles_Away) can see their posts

Craig Tyler
A
I so love your story.
11:19 AM - Sep 19, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}