The Wendy Lady
A
thread 1/20
MUST READ THREAD:

My local High School is regional, with the 3 primary sending towns making up the school board. There are 9 elected board members, 3 from each town.

For every vote, there must be a 5 person majority.

Last month a vote was held for a stipend approval for The Dreamers Club advisor.
10:44 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 2/20
There were 5 board members present. 4 voted for the stipend approval, 1 didn’t. The request was denied.

The 1 “no” vote was a man from my town. His argument was that the board should be financing other clubs - a surfing club, a rugby club, or a young Republicans club, for example.
10:47 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 3/20
Let me say here that 2 of the towns are are predominantly white, wealthy, & GOP voting “Independents;” the 3rd town is diverse, a sanctuary “city”, & tends to elect Dems (the Repubs in this town overwhelmingly send their children to private schools or the charter school for their primary years.)
10:57 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 4/20
So back to the story…

After the white man blocked the reapproval of the stipend, the Dreamers Club did the most wonderful thing! They filed a complaint with our state’s Division of Civil Rights for discrimination, and they got a lawyer to advocate for them.
11:02 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 5/20
It is important to add that the Superintendent supports the Dreamers, the principal supports the Dreamers. The vast majority of the mostly white board supports - or at least doesn’t have a problem with the Dreamers.

One white man and his thinly veiled racism is all it took to to sabotage this Club.
11:04 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 6/20
Thankfully there was a special session a couple weeks ago where the vote was retaken with all members and the stipend was rightly approved.

But the drama doesn’t stop there!

Snuggle up for the juicy 2nd part of the story - where I come in…
11:06 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 7/20
A woman in my town that I’m only an acquaintance with irl but am fb friends with posted this situation on her page. I in turn shared it to my page.

The next day she sent me a private message thanking me for sharing it, asking if I had heard about it…
11:12 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 8/20
…and to let me know she was looking for people to join her at the upcoming BOE meeting to voice our thoughts about the 1 line “no” coming from a representative of our town, if would I be interested.

Me:
11:14 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 9/20
So last night I threw on my “HEAVY ON THE FUCK RACISM” hoody (shout out to Mahogany Mommies apparel!) and made my way over to the monthly BOE meeting.

I arrived late so a took a seat in the back row.

The white woman in front of me turned, gave me a smile and a silent hello.
11:17 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 10/20
When it came time for public comments the woman who’d invited me raised her hand & read a statement about her disappointment that the lone vote came from someone in our town, & that so many people in our community didn’t agree w/ it. When she finished she received an enthusiastic round of applause
11:20 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 11/20
From entire board (less the lone voter) and the audience.

I waited for someone else to speak, and when no one did I raised my hand, thanked this woman and echoed my disappointment with the BOE member.

Then another person spoke, then another, and another!
11:23 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 12/20
People in the audience were tearing up that so many people from my town came out to call this man out. The superintendent and principal were beaming.
11:25 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 13/20
After this beautiful display of solidarity the meeting wrapped up for the night.

I stood up and was waiting for my acquaintance when the white woman who was so welcoming to me just an hour before turned to me and said “I suggest you read *local paper* to learn the real story.”
11:27 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 14/20
Not sure what she meant I smiled and said I would. She continued - and honestly it’s a blur (because emotions and TBI) - but essentially was saying that we got it wrong.

In a moment of clarity I asked her what she meant. What did we get wrong/not understand.
11:29 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 15/20
For a second she was taken aback that I had the audacity to ask her to clarify, because we both knew that this would require her to say the quiet part out loud. Then she doubled down, pointed her finger up close to my sweatshirt & said something about “you people” & how we show up and “know nothing”
11:34 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 16/20
Now, if there is one sure way to trigger me it is to put your finger close to me.

I 👏🏻 will 👏🏻 not 👏🏻 have 👏🏻 it 👏🏻 . 👏🏻
11:37 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 17/20
I cannot recite verbatim what I said. All I know is that this woman appreciated neither having her energy matched nor being educated about what I know. Our back and forth ended w/ me telling her that she was acting like a typical white woman. Which, as a white woman I know is a massive insult.
11:41 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 18/20
I then turned my back to her and saw the principal waiting to thank me profusely for showing and speaking up.

I met up with my acquaintance outside who was chatting with a group of women. They told me that the woman that tried to gaslight me was the wife of the no voter.
11:44 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 19/20
The points of this story are, first, local elections matter. Second, participation in your community is essential, and thirdly, white women will fight to protect the patriarchy - no matter how egregious it is.
11:58 AM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
thread 20/20
In closing, if you need to find me I will be in the front row of EVERY SINGLE BOE meeting, wearing some sort of anti racist clothing until that man is no longer holding that seat.

Fin
11:59 AM - Sep 21, 2023
Anne Shepard
A
In response to The Wendy Lady.
Bravissima!

Here's a slogan to add to your campaign. I took this picture at a library in Belfast, Ireland, that had an exhibit of anti-discrimination posters, most of which were from the time of "The Troubles" between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Keep getting into good trouble.
12:40 PM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
In response to Anne Shepard.
I love it, thank you! 💖
12:42 PM - Sep 21, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to The Wendy Lady.
Dammit, I hate that you are right (as are so many others) about how WW will work/vote/advocate for the patriarchy.
12:16 PM - Sep 21, 2023
The Wendy Lady
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
Same.
12:17 PM - Sep 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}