Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 1/10
I stumbled into an anti-psychiatry FB group when I was looking for another one (I am NOT asking for a debate on it) and, putting aside that any bad medical care is bad--I just wish that people and patients understand that docs who care about providing relief of suffering + improvement in functioning
05:15 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 2/10
AND who do not want to be responsible for causing side effects and hardship, esp in the field of psychiatry, really, truly, deeply work hard and stress deeply and think wisely and collaborate/seek advice broadly and as often as necessary and lose sleep over getting things right. ESPECIALLY if, like
05:16 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 3/10
me, you work with kids (and adults). With kids it's like you and the kid are on a bucking bronco whose knockin us around on a ground that is moving like an earthquake, all while everyone in the world is telling us we're quacks and big pharma and big corp medicine and and and. but the bias aside,
05:18 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 4/10
it's a heavy burden--I'm NOT looking for accolades or sympathy and not even really empathy, though I'll take that, but, really just an understanding (at least for those who seek our help), that we WANT to help and we WANT our help not to come at the expense of failed trials and/or side effects and
05:19 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 5/10
that we DO also support therapy and coaches and tutors and meditation/mindfulness and exercise and martial arts and healthful eating and healthy sleep habits and health relationships with tech and social media and minimal drugs and etoh and caffeine. On the kid side, there are about 8,300 child
05:21 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 6/10
psychiatrist IN ALL OF AMERICA. And people think I'm recommending meds to get MORE patients--are u fuckin kidding me? If I lost 40% of my practice overnight, I'd be profoundly relieved. The burden is too much for all 8300 of us. I want people to be better so they don't have to see me as much and
05:23 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 7/10
so they don't need me anymore. I want that. I'm not opening my window and throwing Ritalin out to attack kids. If I'm doing anything I'm asking for psychiatrists and Nurse Practitioners to come and work with me and share the burden of new folks who want to see me. Bottom line, people deserve help
05:24 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 8/10
and there are those who want to give help. No one has to idolize us--but it's fine to vilify bad doctors, bad medical/psychiatric care--but vilifying all of a specialty hurts those who suffer the most. So be kind to those who suffer--seek GOOD care with GOOD clinicians and get GOOD second opinions
05:26 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 9/10
when needed IN COLLABORATION with your current clinician and ask questions and give feedback--just don't break the backs of 8300 docs (that's 1 child doc per 8900 children in the US (within a larger group of 56000 psychiatrists (1 per 5874 people in the US))).We want to help. We want to get it right
05:32 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 10/10
in # 7 I meant 2 write "...I'm not opening my window and throwing Ritalin out to attract (get) kid patients. If I'm doing anything I'm asking for psychiatrists and Nurse Practitioners to come and work with me and share the burden of new folks who want to see me..." Instead I wrote "attack kids", ugh
08:02 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Jenn H
A
I’m with you! More neuroscience research for brain health needs to be funded. Let’s call it brain health and grant it the parity equivalent to other organs. It’s our least explored organ. We know more about outer space and the depths of our oceans than the space between our ears.
In response to Mark Wilson, MD.
05:41 PM - Sep 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}