bronxelf
A
...and this is why I laugh every time someone screeches at me about how NYC is dangerous. (also, I grew up here when it was legit dangerous. It's like Disneyland comparatively, now. )
Helen Highly @HelenHighly
Yes, plus:

NY vs FL Crime Rate per 100K ppl

Rape
•NY: 32
•FL: 38

Murder
•NY: 4.7
•FL: 7.8

Burglary
•NY: 257
•FL: 720

Compared to NY, FL has a 19% higher rape rate, 66% higher murder rate, & 280% higher burglary rate.

And NYT is all copaganda all the time. Shame.
12:24 PM - Feb 24, 2023
03:50 PM - Feb 24, 2023
Edward Eade II
A
In response to bronxelf.
Yeah, I live in Baltimore, if it wasn't for the higher rent I'd much rather live in NY than here.
09:01 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Rhiannon Sereannon
A
In response to bronxelf.
Is it weird that I felt safer back then than I do now?
09:39 PM - Feb 24, 2023
bronxelf
A
In response to Rhiannon Sereannon.
I think that's normal, honestly. I think it's that we were too young to know how dangerous it actually was. Like, the Bronx looked like a war zone but we had no idea that wasn't normal for everyone because it was all we knew.
10:55 PM - Feb 24, 2023
Helen Highly
A
In response to bronxelf.
Unfortunately, we now have a mayor who says stupid things like “crime is worse now than I’ve ever seen it..” And he was a COP in NYC in the bad old days. So he’s just a big fat fear-mongering liar and a total copagandist and keeps putting money into the police and taking it out of schools.Grrr.
08:00 PM - Feb 24, 2023
Giordana
A
In response to bronxelf.
I lived in NY for 3 years: NYC (Greenwich Village) and Mt Vernon. I visited Manhattan repeatedly (up to several months). I never had a single experience of violence. I returned to Perth (Australia). A man climbed through my bedroom window one night 😡. Neighbour heard me scream - he sorted him 🥾
04:13 PM - Feb 24, 2023
bronxelf
A
In response to Giordana.
Funny enough, I lived in Los Angeles for a couple years. (nothing bad happened there.) but I learned there that I really, really REALLY do not want to live somewhere such that people can walk up to my windows. It freaks me out.
04:16 PM - Feb 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}