Sitara 68
A
Tomato sprouts. I really need to replace this grow light. They look leggy to me, but tomatoes can tolerate a little legginess and the other sprouts seem to be fine. I have my eye on a new grow light but it's not in the budget until next month. #gardening #Garden2023
08:33 AM - Feb 25, 2023
GenXHippie
A
In response to Sitara 68.
Looking good! What a beautiful variety!

My favorite tomatoes are the tiny yellow. Delicious and self seed year after year, even after a New England winter.
08:45 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Sitara 68
A
In response to GenXHippie.
You mean the ground cherries. Haven't tried to grow those, yet. Wanna try some tomatillos first.
08:56 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Wokeity Woke Woke
A
Hi! How does the grow light cause “legginess”? What about the light causes it? Would shorter time being on help? Curious about this because have observed it but didn’t understand what was happening.
08:41 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Sitara 68
A
In response to Wokeity Woke Woke.
Plants get leggy if they are not getting 1 of 3 key ingredients in sufficient amounts; light, water, nutrients. In this case, the issue is light. I've had this grow light for >10 years and the bulbs are really old. Unfortunately, they no longer make this kind of bulb. I'm switching to LED.
08:53 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Sitara 68
A
In response to Wokeity Woke Woke.
So, the light is weak. It's no longer strong enough to provide sufficient light for the sprouts to grow healthy stems.
08:54 AM - Feb 25, 2023
CentralNJ4Eva
A
My husband is always looking for new tomatoes to try in his garden, and I've never heard of at least half of these. I'm excited to share some of these names with him!
08:38 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Sitara 68
A
In response to CentralNJ4Eva.
The Ukrainian Purple is completely new for me, so I can't give any recommendations on that one but I hear it is flavorful. It's a plum variety. The Prize of Trials Cherry produces early and often. The Black Krim is also new to me, but the San Marzano and Arkansas Traveler are staples.
08:45 AM - Feb 25, 2023
Sitara 68
A
In response to CentralNJ4Eva.
I have had a lot of luck with the Artisan Tiger stripe. The description says it's kind of a grape tomato, but the size is a little large more like between a grape and a plum tomato. It is tasty and I like it for salads.
08:47 AM - Feb 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}