Profit Greenly
A
thread 1/5
Pop quiz road users. If you're at a stop sign waiting to turn left onto a major road and someone else is across the street going straight should you yield to them, or should they yield to you?
08:55 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Profit Greenly
A
thread 2/5
I asked my wife this when I got back this morning and she thought that whoever showed up to the stop sign last should yield. That's true for a 4 way stop, but for all other intersections drivers turning left MUST YIELD to oncoming vehicles going straight ahead.
08:56 AM - Sep 28, 2023 (Edited)
Profit Greenly
A
thread 3/5
This doesn't come up often, but when it does it matters! I was nearly hit this morning by a left turning driver who failed to yield. Luckily, I bike very defensively and was ready to stop to avoid a crash, but this is one of the major causes of accidents and drivers need to know!
08:56 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Profit Greenly
A
thread 4/5
Unfortunately our law on this is totally toothless. If you fail to yield you can simply note that the person you hit failed in their responsibility to stop or yield to avoid a crash. This results in a system where bad drivers have little incentive to follow the rules of the road.
08:57 AM - Sep 28, 2023
Profit Greenly
A
thread 5/5
The best solution is to redesign our roads to prevent these conflicts, and make them less dangerous when they happen. Roundabouts, over/underpasses, and intersections that have a green phase just for peds/bikes are all proven ways to avoid such crashes. These should be the norm.
08:58 AM - Sep 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}