Christopher Bouzy
A
thread 1/4
You do realize several news outlets are already utilizing AI to write headlines, and in some cases, entire news stories? I don't "think" it can be done; it is already being done. And yes, some journalists believe AI will replace them, especially journalists who report on breaking news.
John Luttermoser @JohnLuttermoser
I hope you don't think AI can report the news. I'm fine with the thread summaries here, and I'm disappointed with the performance of our corporate media, but "journalists say bots can't do their job because they're afraid the bots really can" is an awful take.
03:39 AM - Oct 07, 2023
03:49 AM - Oct 07, 2023
Christopher Bouzy
A
thread 2/4
"Some news organizations, including The Associated Press, have long used A.I. to generate stories about matters including corporate earnings reports..."
03:53 AM - Oct 07, 2023
Christopher Bouzy
A
thread 3/4
"Journalists are at risk of being replaced by artificial intelligence systems like ChatGPT, the CEO of German media group Axel Springer has said."
03:56 AM - Oct 07, 2023
Christopher Bouzy
A
thread 4/4
"Their stance is the technology is not good enough for content generation (yet), and ultimately they’re concerned that the adoption of AI for editorial purposes is a threat to their jobs."
03:59 AM - Oct 07, 2023
Carol Butler
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
I wonder if the site formerly known as Twitter has removed headlines from their linked stories in order to be replaced with AI generated headlines at some point. I’m not sure what I think about that, especially if AI measures its success by the number of click throughs, but it’s horrible now.
10:15 AM - Oct 07, 2023
John Luttermoser
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
The most important function of journalism is gatekeeping -- deciding what enhances understanding or our world and what does not. The idea that humans programming a bot can do that better than humans without the middle-bot is absurd, whether the subject is a Congressional hearing or a football game.
04:38 AM - Oct 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}