Deb Prothero
A
thread 1/18
Defender of Israel - seeker of peace.

niracohen Nir A Cohen, author, now soldier (General) again

(Translated from Hebrew by Google)

It's half past nine in the evening now, two hours ago I came back from abroad. I'm already in uniform and armed, on my way south to the reserves.
11:09 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 2/18
I'm going to fulfill my duties as a general officer of the brigade responsible for protecting the border with Jordan and Egypt. Like everyone else, I have no idea how long I will be recruited and what day will be born.
11:10 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 3/18
As with all the countless times I served in the reserves, this time too, as long as I'm in uniform I won't write my personal opinions here.

But just before I silence myself, I would like to write here some of my thoughts.
11:10 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 4/18
1. There is nothing in the world that can justify the massacre of hundreds of innocent people. The hundreds of drownings are subhumans of the lowest kind. The same goes for those who support and justify them.
11:11 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 5/18
2. Now is a time of war, the first thing right now is to protect the home, the country.
Let's not get confused, this is not a "war without choice", it could have been prevented, but now it is too late. Now there is no choice but to take up arms and defend the citizens of Israel.
11:11 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 6/18
3. I am going to defend my country from our enemies. Our enemies are murderous terrorist organizations controlled by Islamic extremists. The massacre of innocent Israelis must not be answered by the massacre of innocent Palestinians.
11:12 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 7/18
It is important to remember, the Palestinian people are not our enemy. Millions of Palestinians who live here with us between the sea and Jordan, are not our enemy. Just like most Israelis, so do most Palestinians, they just want to live their lives in peace and dignity.
Deb Prothero
A
thread 8/18
The two peoples who live here, the Jewish people and the Palestinian people, have been held captive for decades by a violent religious minority. On both sides, a violent religious minority drags the conflict into appalling violence.
Deb Prothero
A
thread 9/18
Yes, I compare the leaders of Hamas with the leaders of religious Zionism. On both sides, an extreme religious view dictates violent behavior.
11:14 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 10/18
3. This war will end sooner or later. At the end, both nations will have to reckon with the leaders. We must wake up and not let the extremists rule here. The Palestinians and the Israelis will have to denounce the fundamentalists.
11:15 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 11/18
The Israelis will have to oust Ben Gabir, Smotrich and their gang from power, and the Palestinians will have to oust the heads of Hamas from power.
11:15 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 12/18
4. At moment of the greatest rupture in Israeli society, the truth is revealed. The true lovers of the country are revealed, those who do. In contrast, the nakedness of wretched Twitter tiktok is exposed, a bunch of zeros who, apart from slandering & inciting, contribute nothing to State of Israel.
11:16 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 13/18
This is the hour of the doers, the defenders of Israel. At the end of the war we will come to account with the zeros, the heroes of the keyboard.
11:16 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 14/18
5. In the midst of the terrible pain and the enormous brokenness, I try to look for shards of hope. Shortly after the terrible Yom Kippur War, a peace agreement was signed between Israel and Egypt. We must realize that there is no greater security asset than peace.
11:17 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 15/18
Even the strongest army cannot protect the country the way peace protects. The path of peace will forever be better than the path of war, the one we have been walking on for too long.
Deb Prothero
A
thread 16/18
At the end of the war, after thousands of dead Israelis and Palestinians have been buried, after we have finished washing away the rivers of blood, we will have to understand that there is no choice but to follow the path of peace, that is where the real victory lies.
Deb Prothero
A
thread 17/18
That's it, now it's quiet, I'm leaving cyberspace. I will soon arrive at the base and make my contribution to the defense of the citizens of the State of Israel. The torn heart with the families of the murdered and missing.
11:18 PM - Oct 10, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
thread 18/18
We'll meet here or over a cold beer at six after the war, we'll do everything to make this the last war.
11:20 PM - Oct 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}