Read aBannedBook
A
Any spooky (or scary) books you wish you hadn't read? I read The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, and it was just okay. The ending was weird and wasn't what I would call literary genius.
06:43 PM - Oct 14, 2023 (Edited)
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
"The Turn of the Screw" was . . . weird. Just weird.

I love horror novels, but I wish I'd never read "Pet Sematary." Even "IT" was tame by comparison. I can recall the final lines, and after 37 years the back of my neck *still* wants to shudder off the bone.
In response to Read aBannedBook.
07:09 PM - Oct 14, 2023
Margaret Layne
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
Despite the potboiler title I think it's one of SK's best, a surprisingly insightful novel that's really about grief. I find he's often writing about something more than just things that go bump in the night, & Pet Semetary is one of those, as The Shining is really a novel about alcoholism.
12:41 AM - Oct 15, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Margaret Layne.
That book was full of emotional wounds & violence, all revolving around a parent's worst nightmare. I think the dream scene, where Louis makes the grab that would have kept his family whole, is the most heartbreaking part of it, next to the funeral.
01:12 AM - Oct 15, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
I read a synopsis for the Pet Sematary movie and was just like NO, never, just no.
07:15 PM - Oct 14, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Read aBannedBook.
My brother *insisted* I watch the movie with him. I wasn't impressed - the book was much more affecting, emotionally so. The movie just made me wince; the book made me jump when I realized night was falling and I was all alone in the house.
07:19 PM - Oct 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}