Denise Oliver-Velez
A
I live in Kingston NY. Anyone who thinks that New York State is a bastion of liberal, progressive thinkers - think again. We are now involved in a #BlackHistoryMonth controversy. https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2023/02/03/kcsd-walks-back-black-history-month-opt-out-language/
06:50 PM - Feb 04, 2023
Denise Oliver-Velez
A
In response to Denise Oliver-Velez.
Parents of children in the Kingston Consolidated School District (KCSD) got a letter giving them the option to "opt out" of their children seeing certain films and went on to list eight.
06:58 PM - Feb 04, 2023
Denise Oliver-Velez
A
We have a statue of Sojourner Truth in front of our courthouse. She was enslaved here in the county as Isabella ("Bell") Baumfree. There is a statue of her as a young girl here in the neighboring town of Port Ewen.
Are we next going to "opt out" of our children learning her history?
07:09 PM - Feb 04, 2023
Denise Oliver-Velez
A
I just got off the phone with a Kingston school teacher. Never before have parents been sent an "opt-out" of Black History Month curriculum letter. The school administrators issuing the "apology" are now trying to cover their asses. Methinks Florida is infecting New York.
07:14 PM - Feb 04, 2023
Denise Oliver-Velez
A
When you go to the website for KCSD’s Department of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, headed by Director Kathy Sellitti - there is now a pop up message, in response to the flack I'm sure they are getting from angry parents.
07:36 PM - Feb 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}