the irreducible
A
thread 1/5
One thing I think a lot of people miss in their discussion of homelessness (its insolubility in particular) is the real root psychological shift required to go from street living to responsible status quo contributor. I see a lot of talk about addiction and other mental health issues but what I...
10:22 AM - Oct 17, 2023
the irreducible
A
thread 2/5
... almost never see is a discussion of locus of control (actual and perceived.) You are not going to get far with someone who's been authentically wronged, whose agency has been removed to manage even basic issues like how long a shower you get to take or what you get to keep and what you must lose
the irreducible
A
thread 3/5
... without first acknowledging that *whatever they 'did' our country manages homelessness so poorly that they have been wronged for profit.* but that's where the problem comes in. Everyone, homeless and not, wants needs deserves someone to blame sometimes. but you can't make a successful shift from
the irreducible
A
thread 4/5
... basic defensive strategy, reinforcing the self at any cost, to someone able to manage the conditions that initially tumbled them and more even, without successfully reconceiving of yourself as a person who Handles It. the shift from storm-tossed victim to clear-eyed participant has to happen...
the irreducible
A
thread 5/5
... and how does any city's plan put intensive therapy in place at the same time as housing, vocational training (vocation: feeling human) and community service (integration into the web of support)? How could it when most card-punchers don't have those skills themselves.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}