Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 1/9
My Hot Take: I'm sick and tired of stories like this. And it's far time that this country and these companies start writing checks. If I'm the family, I no longer settle just for a payout. I want equity and continued profit payouts.
#sme #theculture #medicaltrials #racism #rsvvaccine #nytimes
07:06 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 2/9
The Lede: That lack of surprise is the scar tissue that Black Americans have built up — the knowledge that the worst is always possible. The mind and spirit continually make space for it, forever hoping, but preparing contingencies for hope’s inevitable betrayal.
07:07 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 3/9
We have learned this from history: Undark’s reporting about Victor and Ross calls to mind infamous cases of racism in the American medical establishment, such as the Tuskegee syphilis experiment, which treated Black people as disposable, and Henrietta Lacks, who was treated as dehumanized tissue.
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 4/9
Mr. Schulson reports that after the trial in which the boys died, the researchers who oversaw the study at Children’s Hospital in Washington, D.C., wrote an article in a scientific journal stating that they had received consent from the children’s parents.
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 5/9
But Mr. Schulson reported that he did not find any signed forms and indicates that if parents did sign a consent form, they were probably not adequately informed of the trial’s risks.
07:08 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 6/9
(When reached for comment, National Institutes of Health said, in part, that “the protections for participants in research have greatly evolved” over the past 60 years and that “N.I.H.-supported institutions are required to have numerous safeguards in place to protect participants.”)
07:08 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 7/9
Ms. Hambrick told me, “When it was shared with me that they had done an autopsy on him, that they had cut out part of his lungs, shared it with institutions all around the world, that hurt, because that was something that I don’t think my parents had any idea, or knew, that that was happening.”
07:09 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 8/9
Tissue samples were harvested from the boys’ dead bodies, Undark reports. Not only did researchers study the tissue samples, finding that the vaccine fatally altered the boys’ immune response
07:09 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 9/9
, but “Over five decades, scientists publish dozens of papers drawing on clinical data of the boys who died.” In light of that, it’s hard not to think of the deaths of those boys as part of the journey that led to the breakthrough of today’s vaccines.

-End
07:10 AM - Oct 18, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}