Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 1/8
My Hot Take: I want more than just a ban. Start stroking them checks.
#sme #theculture #Hairstraightener #NYTimes
07:35 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 2/8
The Lede: The Food and Drug Administration has proposed banning hair-straightening products that contain or emit formaldehyde, more than a decade after the cosmetic industry’s own experts declared the products unsafe.
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 3/8
Frequent use of chemical hair straighteners has been linked to a possible increase in the risk of developing cancer of the uterus, which is also called endometrial cancer. Women who use the products often face more than twice the risk of those who do not.
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 4/8
Other studies have linked hair straighteners and dyes to breast and ovarian cancer. The agency’s scientists deemed formaldehyde to be a human carcinogen seven years ago, and its lawyers started drafting a proposed ban then.
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 5/8
Workers like embalmers who are exposed to high levels of formaldehyde have higher rates of myeloid leukemia and other rare cancers. The F.D.A. warns that immediate reactions can include irritation of the eyes and throat, coughing, wheezing or chest pain.
07:36 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 6/8
Chronic or long-term problems include frequent headaches, asthma, skin irritation and allergic reactions.The hair-straightening products are marketed largely to Black women.
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 7/8
While rates of uterine cancer have been rising among all women in recent years, the increase has been steepest among women of color, including Asian and Hispanic women.
Social Media Ecosystem
A
thread 8/8
The agency’s proposed rule would ban formaldehyde and other formaldehyde-releasing chemicals from hair-straightening and hair-smoothing products marketed in the United States. The target date for the ban is April 2024.

-End
07:37 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Bren
A
In response to Social Media Ecosystem.
In the 70s Cosmetologist were required to soak combs in a solution of formaldehyde and there were formaldehyde tablets for cabinets required as well. I can't remember exact dates but some time in the 80s they said no more. It's unacceptable that it's been allowed in hair products this long.
08:04 AM - Oct 18, 2023
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
Adding, consider the source here. My memory of dates and years is not so good. It may have been stopped in the 90s 🙃
08:26 AM - Oct 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}