Nefarious Means
A
thread 1/5
I've refrained from posting about the Israel/Hamas war because I know I’m out of my depth on that but I'm seeing so many Jews talk about how terrified they are right now and I just want to say, I get it.
I'm a Black woman in a red state.
03:04 PM - Oct 21, 2023
Nefarious Means
A
thread 2/5
I know what it's like to look around and realize that you are surrounded by people - including friends, neighbors, and coworkers - who would happily kill you and everyone like you.
I remember watching white friends happily vote for Trump and celebrate his election.
Nefarious Means
A
thread 3/5
The knowledge that these people, some I’d know for years or decades, people who I broke bread with, who I had at my home, people who took care of my cats.
Nefarious Means
A
thread 4/5
(If you have pets you understand) just blithely voted for my suffering and extermination is something that I won't ever forget
I’m not trying to compare 2016 to current events. I’m just saying that I see the fear, pain, and betrayal so many Jewish people are struggling with now and I get it.
Nefarious Means
A
thread 5/5
I see it.
You’re not alone.
Susan Shirley
A
Even as a ww I get this. How stunning it was to go out the day after the election and wonder, of the people I encountered at the store, how many were the haters who put that man in office. To see that ugly largely red electoral college map. To have to explain to even good men why I was crying.
In response to Nefarious Means.
03:24 PM - Oct 21, 2023
Nefarious Means
A
In response to Susan Shirley.
Confession: I don't remember learning how he won.

I went to sleep expecting Madam President and my next memory is being at work and my coworker crying in my office.

Everything in between is gone.
06:22 PM - Oct 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}