Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
#SpoutibleBannedBookClub #StoryTellerTalkingPoint

What makes a person turn to evil and can people change to the point of forgiveness?

#SBBC #TheStoryTeller
05:59 PM - Oct 21, 2023 (Edited)
b in the pnw
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
I think people who turn to evil have some evil in them, or at least an emptiness in them already. The question of forgiveness is so complex. I, personally, have a hard time with it. People can change to where they think they can be forgiven but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be forgiven.
04:12 PM - Oct 23, 2023
Angelique Yaich
A
Maybe we should question if people turn to evil at all, seems so "religious"....and what got people to think of Jews as lesser and not human.
What if we use science to figure out why these people did the horrendous deeds?
What if we used our knowledge to move forward from #thestoryteller .
12:03 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Angelique Yaich
A
In response to Angelique Yaich.
Where could ordinary people have turned the tide of history by just speaking up instead of blaming others for their difficulties?
12:09 PM - Oct 22, 2023
AnneSenter
A
I believe most people can change to the point of forgiveness. But most societies are not set up to help folks heal from their own or collective trauma. The Nazi did change and could have died as a beloved former teacher, but was haunted by his past. So he couldn’t forgive himself.
11:00 PM - Oct 21, 2023
AnneSenter
A
Indoctrination and a feeling of belonging can make people do things they would never do otherwise. We’re seeing that phenomenon in the US and elsewhere today. The lessons of the Holocaust are fading with few survivors left. Picoult’s books always deal with deep subjects. This one was no exception!
10:55 PM - Oct 21, 2023
Becky Cline
A
My question is did we feel any more forgiving because it actually turned out to be his brother?
09:38 PM - Oct 21, 2023
Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
In response to Becky Cline.
I don't know. Were they all monsters even if there was a glimpse of humanity periodically? Did they have choices? I was disappointed that Franz ended up working at a camp. I'd rather he'd run away and gone to university somewhere.
10:09 PM - Oct 21, 2023
Angelique Yaich
A
In response to Becky Cline.
I would have to say yes, assuming their want to join the war as told in the beginning as "true", because Reinmann would never have had the second life of a life of helping others...I suspected Josef was Franz early on...though Jodi Picoult kept it vague...
01:33 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Pam McSt
A
I don't really know, but I often wonder. It's likely ignorance, greed, hatred, & fear are factors.

Sometimes.

It's easier to imagine changes and someone being redeemable when their wrong actions are less extreme than the examples in this book and some of the worse cases in history.
09:19 PM - Oct 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}