C. Shuy (she/they)
A
I have thought for the longest time that while President Biden has publicly condemned Hamas but said nothing about the Israeli government, he was probably pressuring them behind the scenes.

I think this confirms that.
Anton Brakhage @Anton_Brakhage
So much for the narrative that Biden is giving Israel a blank check.

Of course Biden supports military action against Hamas- they're an enemy of the US who attacked an ally and is holding US hostages. But he has also worked hard to limit escalation and harm to innocents.

#JoeBiden #BidenWins
11:32 PM - Oct 21, 2023
11:43 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
That is what I believe is likely the case, based on various statements from the administration and Israel.

How far that pressure goes I don't know, but it seems pretty clear Biden doesn't want escalation.
In response to C. Shuy (she/they).
08:57 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
And to be clear, I don't think Biden is secretly all in on supporting Palestine behind closed doors. I expect that he supports Israel's right to exist, and defend itself. But he's also clearly not gung ho for all-out war in Palestine, much less the larger Middle East.
08:58 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
And as emotionally satisfying as it might be to see him publicly condemn certain actions by the Israeli government, that probably wouldn't help negotiating with them. Its also not really Biden's style- he's a backroom deal maker, more than a firebrand.
08:59 PM - Oct 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}