Rob E
A
This switching parties after being elected is some BS. There needs to be contracts signed with the party that helped them get elected and they need to be replaced and all funds returned.
Scott Coach @Schoaches
This loophole for public officials to change party after their election to office needs to be addressed. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrat-abruptly-switches-parties/ar-AA1iDczz?ocid=socialsh...
04:16 AM - Oct 22, 2023
04:27 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Rob E.
I'm disturbed by such authoritarian ideas, even from supposed progressives, to "fix" democracy by making it less democratic.

Make it illegal for politicians to switch parties? Contractually obliging them to put party loyalty over principle, country, and their constituents? That's your fix? REALLY?
04:33 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
I know the supposed intention is to prevent "Trojan horse" candidates running as one party and then immediately switching to another. But again, you're talking about MAKING IT A CRIME TO PUT ANYTHING AHEAD OF PARTY LOYALTY.
04:35 AM - Oct 22, 2023
Scott Coach
A
No one is saying what you implied here. Yes Trojan Horse candidates do exist and the issue must be addressed. Dark money can be involved when margins are thin. Maybe Canada doesn’t have that issue.
04:53 AM - Oct 23, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Scott Coach.
1/3

What have I said that is untrue? You insinuate dishonesty on my part, but give no specifics that I can address.

I also never denied that Trojan horse candidates exist, in fact I repeatedly addressed it, so I'm not sure what point you feel you're making by restating it.
05:00 AM - Oct 23, 2023 (Edited)
Scott Coach
A
How did I insinuate dishonesty on your part?
05:03 AM - Oct 23, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
2/3 As to your invoking my Canadian citizenship (while ignoring my US one)- If your intent is to suggest (as someone already did tonight) that I am not a real American, and that my view of US politics is therefore invalid, that is a despicable appeal to nationalist bigotry, and I will report it.
05:05 AM - Oct 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}