Therese Brosseau
A
thread 1/7
Had one of those moments yesterday where I was unexpectedly steered into a moment of life reflection. I’m sure I’m not the only one to have a dad that loves to re-tell stories about funny or poignant memories - as a child, a young man, often including stories about us 6 kids, his marriage, work etc
03:25 PM - Oct 23, 2023
Therese Brosseau
A
thread 2/7
Over….and over…and over ad nauseum. As a teen, I listened to these stories with impatience and eye rolls. “Yes, yes, yes, you did tell us about the time….buuuut you’re going to tell us again anyway.” In my 20’s I realized how much dad enjoyed recanting these stories and tolerated them for his sake
Therese Brosseau
A
thread 3/7
In my 30’s I listened to them with my husband and kids with wry amusement and rolled with it. In my 40’s I noticed that dad’s eyes shone with pure joy at every detail of every tale - even as he began to struggle with short term memories. Now in my late 50’s, my dad at 93 has dementia and is in…
Therese Brosseau
A
thread 4/7
assisted living. My mom sent a group text out to the six of us kids telling us how a conversation with him led him to asking about a trip to Maine and she began to recant to him about the time (one of his MANY stories) he was fishing off a pier and as he cast, a seagull dove for the bait and got…
Therese Brosseau
A
thread 5/7
caught up in the line and his face lit up as he launched into the rest of the story of how he had to wrestle with the gull to set it free. She asked us if we had any other stories that she could recant to him as he was so joyful at remembering that event. WELL. Over the next hour or so, we kicked in
Therese Brosseau
A
thread 6/7
to a frenzy of stories. Every. Single. One. Of. Those. Stories. He. Told. Repeatedly. They will now be the food that sustains what is left of his brain for the remainder of his life.
So as I turn 60 next month, it is not without irony and with renewed respect,
Therese Brosseau
A
thread 7/7
that those very stories barely tolerated in my youth, are now virtually the only memories he has left. And they will be the stories that WE will now willingly share with my dad so we can bring him memories, joy and peace in his twilight hours. ❤️

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}