Race results -
VER, HAM, NOR, SAI, PER, LEC, RUS, GAS, STR, TSU
#F1 #Formula1 #USGP
04:54 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 2/10
Race recap -
Lando had an excellent start and got the lead in the first corner and was flying for the first part of the race.

Lewis showed the pace of the MB, he got past both Carlos & Charles by lap 6 and keeping pace with Lando.
04:55 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 3/10
Interesting race as the teams had different tyre strategies. Max was committed to a 2 stop (med, med & hard) while Lando & Lewis kept their options open by going on hards in the first stop.
04:55 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 4/10
In the end, the 1 stop was never going to work but Lewis made the right choice by going long in stint 2 and putting on mediums in his 2nd stop.

He was able to chase down Lando and made Max sweat a bit as he was lapping 1 sec. a lap faster but ran out of laps. Still a super drive for Lewis!
04:57 PM - Oct 22, 2023 (Edited)
Stewart Tan
A
thread 5/10
There were 3 retirements:
Ocon due to sidepod damage after contact with Oscar

Oscar due to overheating issues (maybe as a result of the contact)

Alonso with floor damage, I think
04:58 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 6/10
Story lines by teams:

RB -
Great weekend by RB, Max doing the usual Max things and Checo having decent results.

MB -
Fantastic weekend by MB, first P2 for Lewis this year! A bit of an uneven weekend for George but still earned good points for himself & MB.
04:59 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 7/10
McLaren -
Great weekend for Lando, not so much for Oscar.

Ferrari -
Ho-hum results for Ferrari and a disastrous day for Charles. I may be over-simplifying it but it's as if Ferrari couldn't decide what tyre strategy to take. MB & McLaren tried the 1 stop but adjusted when needed.
05:02 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 8/10
F-1 spreadsheet:
https://tinyurl.com/4jfswe...

Lewis is now 19 points behind Checo with 4 races left. Horner says Checo getting P2 isn't a condition of his ride next year 🤔

McLaren now in P4. They probably won't catch up to Ferrari but will give it a run.
05:14 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 9/10
Breaking news... just read that the cars of Lewis & Charles failed a post-race check, so they are under risk of disqualification! 🥺

F-1 has a rule that the underside plank must not wear below 9mm. Apparently, COTA is one of the bumpiest tracks which is contributing to the issue.
08:11 PM - Oct 22, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
thread 10/10
And it has been confirmed that both Lewis & Charles have been DQ'ed. Ay yay yay for Lewis.

Both Williams finish in the points and Logan gets his first points in F-1... maybe I was too quick to say he will be out of F-1. Lando is now in P6 (P5 and maybe even P4 within reach).
08:37 PM - Oct 22, 2023
J Leep
A
My biggest issue is F1 calling themselves the pinnacle of motorsports and then half assing something like this.

They will fall back to "the rules" but sprint races didn't exist when this rule was created. IMHO, the rules should also change.

If I had 20 fasteners and 2/4 fail the rest get checked.
In response to Stewart Tan.
04:54 PM - Oct 23, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
In response to J Leep.
Agree... a lot of it is foreseeable. COTA is one of the bumpiest event of the season, so it seems like plank wear issues were bound to happen. If they can automate clearance inspections, they can focus on subjective issues that needs humans (leaving track for advantage).
09:35 PM - Oct 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}