Garden Crazy
A
Fun and functional story (gifted). What a wonderful way to mow the lawn, reduce carbon emissions, increase natural ferlization... But seriously folks, 2% of all the US is covered in grass?! 3x more than all the corn crops?! We have to do better! #Gardening #Nature #ClimateChange
08:48 PM - Oct 24, 2023
Berit Talan
A
In response to Garden Crazy.
I only have a teeny tiny city lot but I'm trying to do my part. Smoothing the lawn to plant native landscaping next year. The other side closer to the house was done this year.
09:05 PM - Oct 24, 2023
Garden Crazy
A
In response to Berit Talan.
You would be surprised how much you can plant in a parkway. A whole butterfly/hummingbird garden can easily fit there and be quite low maintenance. Have fun!
09:16 PM - Oct 24, 2023
Berit Talan
A
I am really excited. It's the largest planting space I have (we have kids and a ridiculously sized play structure for the size of our backyard). It's full shade due to the boulevard trees but shade gardening doesn't have to be all hostas.
09:31 PM - Oct 24, 2023
Garden Crazy
A
In response to Berit Talan.
You are right @berit , shade gardening doesn't have to be all hostas. You will also have to contend with the tree roots in a parkway. What zone are you? LOTS of options, like many grasses that give movement and bird seed to the space. #Gardening
09:46 PM - Oct 24, 2023
Berit Talan
A
Ramsey County MN (4B) although it is probably more 5 by now. Salt spray is a consideration at close to the curb. Current thought: an area with more spring/early summer blooming natives like Wild Columbine, Golden Alexander, Jacob's Ladder. And later blooming like Short's Aster, Elm Leaved Goldenrod
03:21 PM - Oct 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}