Pam
A
The bill would make it easier to sue journalists, publications, or social media users for defamation if they accuse someone of racism, sexism, homophobia, or transphobia. The bill specifically says that publications can’t use truth as a defense.
08:42 AM - Feb 27, 2023
Jeaux Pharmacist
A
In response to Pam.
I thought the truth is always a defense. I'm not a lawyer, but this seems like it will be struck down if it passes.
10:19 AM - Feb 27, 2023
Pam
A
In response to Jeaux Pharmacist.
One would think, but the Republicans are really working hard to redefine "truth."
11:40 AM - Feb 27, 2023
RachelCobaltBlue
A
In response to Pam.
This law would follow the fascist playbook using courts to eliminate dissent, truth, free speech, free press.
09:14 AM - Feb 27, 2023
Amy Bornmann
A
In response to Pam.
Let’s see what SCOTUS has to say about this. “Free State of Florida” so long as you obey King Ron 😡
09:08 AM - Feb 27, 2023
dariasteigman
A
In response to Pam.
This is truly chilling. And completely unsurprising. First they came for you. Then they came for everyone speaking up for you. Then they'll come for everyone else too
08:54 AM - Feb 27, 2023
Pam
A
In response to dariasteigman.
But apparently it's still ok to stand on a street corner and harass Jews with a bullhorn in Florida.
No law against that.
I especially love the part where people can't use "truth as a defense"
09:01 AM - Feb 27, 2023
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
In response to Pam.
DeSantis and the Florida GOP are just...jackals at this point. They know that this bill won't even make it past the 11th Circuit for first amendment violations.
08:46 AM - Feb 27, 2023
Josol
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
Who knows… the courts have become so partisan.
08:55 AM - Feb 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}