Tara K
A
I understand the reasoning behind the blue pumpkins but what does it say about our society where such a thing is even needed. I have never expected nor required a verbal 'trick or treat', a costume nor set an age limit. Less rigidity, more compassion & let everyone enjoy the night in their own way.
09:57 AM - Oct 27, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Tara K.
It's not the "trick or treat", it's more about the non verbal "thank you". It was created by moms with kids with Autism to avoid any weird interactions.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/karinabland/2019/10/31/blue-pumpkin-meaning-autism-teal-j...
10:03 AM - Oct 27, 2023
Tara K
A
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
Again, I get the reason behind it but what does it say about our society that it is even needed?
10:16 AM - Oct 27, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Tara K.
Um... our society is taught to say thank you when something is recieved...
10:19 AM - Oct 27, 2023
Tara K
A
Really feel like you are missing the entire point of my comment.
10:21 AM - Oct 27, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Tara K.
No, I'm not missing it. What I'm not understanding is how you don't see how this is useful.
10:22 AM - Oct 27, 2023
Tara K
A
Where did I say it wasn't useful? I was commenting on the state of society
10:25 AM - Oct 27, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Tara K.
"Thank you" is a normal response in our society. We teach it to kids out of the womb...

Our society thinks its rude to not say thank you.

Mom's are trying to avoid that.
10:26 AM - Oct 27, 2023 (Edited)
Tara K
A
Do you honestly expect a 'thank you' 100% of the time? As I said LESS rigidity and more compassion and it shouldn't require a blu pumpkin - emphasizing shouldn't vs doesn't.
10:33 AM - Oct 27, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Tara K.
I don't but we are talking about 100s if not thousands of people in a neighborhood in a society where thank you is the norm. That's anxiety and stress for both the parent and child at every doorstep.
10:34 AM - Oct 27, 2023 (Edited)
Tara K
A
Which is why I said what I said. Less rigidity (relating to societal norms) & more compassion. I'll update that to more inclusivity as well. All of this should not require an indicator (eg blue pumpkin) in order to trigger the compassion. Again emphasis on should
10:43 AM - Oct 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}