Mary OContrary
A
A sugar replacement used in Stevia and keto products has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death.

“The degree of risk was not modest,” said Dr. Hazen.

People with risk factors were twice as likely to experience a heart attack or stroke if they had high levels in their blood.
04:35 PM - Feb 27, 2023 (Edited)
Anne Worner
A
In response to Mary OContrary.
Erythritol tastes so good and is great for baking.
Now what to use that doesn't spike glucose.
06:25 PM - Feb 28, 2023
Bird Cherry
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
08:46 AM - Feb 28, 2023 (Edited)
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Bird Cherry.
Thank you for sharing a link to the info.
10:22 AM - Feb 28, 2023
Mike Ratrie
A
Like a lot of medical research reporting, I see lots of problems here with generalizing. Note that 30 grams is just over 1 ounce, and most people don't eat a whole pint of ice cream at one sitting, unless they're mending a broken heart.
05:40 PM - Feb 27, 2023
Annie Bee Good
A
In response to Mike Ratrie.
I think you'd be surprised.
06:02 PM - Feb 27, 2023
Sir Humphrey Purrcival
A
Well, dangnabit. There goes my ice cream. Luckily I checked all my other stevia products and no erythritol in them, aside from some monkfruit, which is now going in the bin.

So frustrating. I can't do sugar, aspartame, splenda or any other sweetener replacements.
05:36 PM - Feb 27, 2023
Jo Ellen Claus
A
Another thing not mentioned in the article that most don't know about is if you have arthritis, artificial sweeteners speed up the bone destruction from arthritis. 2 different orthos told me this when I had to have both hips replaced. I had only used them for 5 years before my hips were destroyed.
05:29 PM - Feb 27, 2023
G
A
In response to Jo Ellen Claus.
Wow, I had no clue. They are being banned from my house as of tonight. Too many health issues to risk anything else!! Thanks for this.
10:08 PM - Feb 27, 2023
TwoFish Flying
A
I'll be sticking with sugar.
05:27 PM - Feb 27, 2023
Alicia Mendoza
A
This country is trying to kill us with food! I’ve lived in the UK and honestly you don’t have those problems!
05:26 PM - Feb 27, 2023
Balki Spoutachamous
A
“... they found an association between erythritol and clotting risk, not definitive proof such a link exists."

“Any possible (and, as yet unproven) risks of excess erythritol would also need to be balanced against the very real health risks of excess glucose consumption."
05:25 PM - Feb 27, 2023
G
A
Well shoot!
05:20 PM - Feb 27, 2023
Jesse Elin Browne
A
I tried to switch to stevia in my coffee about 6 or 7 years ago and the blinding migraines I got afterward were incredible. It also made my blood pressure go up. It took about a week to figure it out. But I threw it all away and warn folks all the time. Glad to see there's a study.
05:04 PM - Feb 27, 2023
oceandrop
A
Thanks for the share.
I just found out the monkfruit brand I've been using contains erythritol. No more of that! I've already discovered two brands that don't add it to their product.
05:04 PM - Feb 27, 2023
Joelle Balfe
A
In response to oceandrop.
What are those two brands, if you don't mind sharing?
08:27 PM - Feb 27, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
Yikes. 😢
05:02 PM - Feb 27, 2023
uOMi
A
Tried it once could not stomach the taste.

So tricky our general likes for sweets when they become a health hazard.
Dawn Johnson
A
I use stevia glycerite which is literally just a compound made from stevia derived from the stevia plant, and glycerin. No erythritol.
Judith Malley
A
I have been using “Pure Via” for years. Just checked the ingredients; the ingredient cited in the CNN article is not used.
04:54 PM - Feb 27, 2023
KiKiPosting
A
😳
04:48 PM - Feb 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}