Andrea Loken
A
thread 1/8
I'm seeing the word "triggered" being used a lot these days. While language is a fluid, ever-evolving thing, I think it's important to remind folks about what being triggered means (if you're part of a marginalized community, please bear with me while I bring others up to speed).
12:24 PM - Nov 01, 2023
Andrea Loken
A
thread 2/8
Lots of folks seem to think that being generally upset by an exchange or an experience is the same thing as being triggered.

Being upset sucks, but it's NOT the same as being triggered.
Andrea Loken
A
thread 3/8
Triggered is when everyday exchanges or experiences randomly raise past trauma, causing folks to experience fresh trauma symptoms that can be mildly to severely debilitating. Those symptoms can last anywhere from moments to months (& beyond!) & can require treatment.
Andrea Loken
A
thread 4/8
Triggered doesn't just ruin your mood: it can cause sheer panic, terror etc. in relation to past trauma. It can be a sight, a sound, a smell, a sensation, or a combination of any of these - & resulting new trauma symptoms can manifest in many ways, both mental & physical.
Andrea Loken
A
thread 5/8
So for those of us who have suffered serious trauma in our lives & who must manage it daily, this is to ask those of you who have been fortunate enough not to, to please stop & consider your words, especially if they relate to mental health.
Andrea Loken
A
thread 6/8
Besides, there are more expressive & precise ways to talk about being upset:

Honked off, pissed off, troubled, disappointed, worked up, knickers in a twist, beyond my/your/them/him/herself, worried, concerned, flustered, bamboozled, lost for words, etc.

The list is practically endless.
Andrea Loken
A
thread 7/8
It's clear that most folks here want to be/do better - here's one more chance to do just that. Taking the time to consider "what do I really mean to say?" is good to begin with, & even better if it means being respectful to those who are already marginalized.

Thanks for reading & take care❤️
Andrea Loken
A
thread 8/8
Sorry - I should've prefaced this thread with the fact that I have survived sexual assault, verbal/emotional abuse, & sexual harassment. So I speak to this issue as someone who has had treatment for PTSD & who has experienced being triggered. And it definitely ain't the same as getting upset.
02:27 PM - Nov 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}