Dıanna
A
thread 1/5
🧵 Gonna share an encounter I had on Black Twitter, not so much to expose my, erm, learning curve, but because of the consistent responses I got when relating it to my fellow white friends. Their reaction made me realize that it was more than just a silly anecdote about social media nonsense.
10:05 AM - Nov 02, 2023
Dıanna
A
thread 2/5
I responded to a tweet about racism & sexism, but my response was from a sexism perspective, missing the nuance. Also unaware that it was part of a convo on Black Twitter. I was piled on, & told to "leave the convo white girl," not my place, who asked you, etc.
I initially pushed back & restated my
Dıanna
A
thread 3/5
feminist opinion. I actually had a few people defend my right to engage, but Twitter being Twitter, it did go south. During this heated exchange, I was reflecting.
Would I, as a woman talking to other women, appreciate a man popping into our convo with his views? Not necessarily.
So I posted my
Dıanna
A
thread 4/5
apologies for not reading the room & that I would return to my lane. I genuinely felt this to be a learning moment for me.
Then, when sharing the encounter with me friends --as a positive example of social media-- I received nothing but outrage. "Why did you apologize?" "You did nothing wrong!"
Dıanna
A
thread 5/5
"You're entitled to your opinion, too!" and, worse... (you can imagine).
I still share this with fellow white folks & I try to also share my understanding about when to speak up, when to listen and learn, & the value of checking my white privilege.
Maybe someone will hear me.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}