jentaub
A
🐳 Good morning!

I'm going to try live-spouting the oral arguments at SCOTUS today on student loan forgiveness. Not sure if I can thread, but I will try!

1/
10:05 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
In response to jentaub.
Still waiting for the Court to get through announcements. But, when they do, oral argument will start. You can follow at home here:

https://www.supremecourt.g...

2/
10:06 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
In response to jentaub.
For a little background on the cases, Amy Howe at SCOTUSblog has a really nice write up. Here's that link

https://www.scotusblog.com...

3/
10:09 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
In response to jentaub.
There are two cases on tap this morning related to the Biden Administration student debt relief program under which student borrowers (and parents like me) can get up to $20,000 in loans cancelled.

(1) Biden v. Nebraska: Six states including Nebraska sued to stop plan, arguing that the law the S
10:14 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
In response to jentaub.
We have started. On behalf of the government, the solicitor general is arguing that this waiver and modification of the statute governing the student loan program is appropriate under the HEROES Act and the "major questions doctrine" should not apply.

5/
10:16 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
In response to jentaub.
Justice Thomas is asking questions about how the Secretary of Education's actions functioned as waivers or modifications. And whether there was express language in the Act about cancellation of loans.

However, she replied that that law allowed for responding to the national emergency (Covid) inc
10:18 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
In response to jentaub.
Sorry. Not sure if I'm being cut off by typing too much.

Chief Justice seems to have asked whether the word "modify" any Title IV provisions as permitted in the HEROES Act could include cancel half a trillion in loans.

7/
10:19 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
Solicitor General points out that debt relief to deal with borrower hardship is one of the key thing that the HEROES Act is designed to deal with as it's focused on financial relief.

8/
In response to jentaub.
10:20 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
In response to jentaub.
She said that the HEROES Act was initially designed for service members who went off to war. Congress would have expected that the Secretary could make the member whole, not worse off because he went to war.

Can you do any debt discharge. She says yes

9/
10:21 AM - Feb 28, 2023
jentaub
A
In response to jentaub.
It sounds like Justice Sotomayor asking questions. Given the amount of debt forgiven here, why doesn't this trigger the Major Questions Doctrine?

10/
10:22 AM - Feb 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}