Bob
A
thread 1/7
Since I had them out to snap a pic, two issues of Sandman I had signed by Neil Gaiman ( @neilhimself ) in Toronto in 1990.

It was at the Beguiling, if I remember correctly their short-lived Queen St. location.
12:02 PM - Nov 07, 2023
Bob
A
thread 2/7
Matt Wagner was there, I don't think advertised, so probably just hanging out with Gaiman.
Bob
A
thread 3/7
(I know Wagner had Canadian connections, like his long-time editor Diana Schutz and collaborators Joe Matt and Bernie Mireault)

It was the first comic creator signing I'd ever been to, and quite a difference from any @neilhimself signing even a few years later, much less today
Bob
A
thread 4/7
No line when I came in, so I was nervous to go up and did some shopping, a few people came in later and I got in line.

Got to talk to @neilhimself and Wagner for a few minutes. I think they commented on a few books I was buying.
Bob
A
thread 5/7
Definitely an issue of TALES FROM THE HEART, maybe an issue of RELENTLESS PURSUIT (both from Slave Labor)

As I recall, BOOKS OF MAGIC had just been announced, so Gaiman had a few printouts from John Bolton and Charles Vess artwork, some of which DC hadn't even seen yet
Bob
A
thread 6/7
Unfortunately, I had lent someone my copies of SANDMAN #1 -7 (it would still be well over a year before the first collection of those), or I'd probably have gotten #1 and #4 signed as well. But #13 and #8 were my two favourites of the series to that point (and probably still to this day).
Bob
A
thread 7/7
Also got BLACK ORCHID #1 signed. I wonder what the exact day was, since I can't imagine I wouldn't have gotten HELLBLAZER #27 or a MIRACLEMAN signed if they were out by then. Or did I think more than three would be excessive?

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}