RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/10
Okay this thread is something I think I do need to make, and it's directed towards parents and guardians. Have you started with your young children on basic biology/medical terms yet? Have you talked to your kids about sex yet?
04:07 PM - Nov 07, 2023
A
thread 2/10
I have made a previous thread about the puritanical nature of America's sex ed. I know this WILL be uncomfortable, but you will have to bear it out. This is one of your jobs as a parent, because you should want to teach your kids the facts of life...because other kids, and the internet will.
A
thread 3/10
Often it will be at the expense of truth...or reality. Now, the first thing is first. Do not body shame a kid (especially a young one). Also at the same time realize that children by nature are hyper curious, so you have to be on top of all actions, and questions.
A
thread 4/10
You know the situations that will arise that will require your immediate reaction. First and foremost, starting in their formative years, make clear that their body is their body. Outside of a doctor giving a legit exam, or in cases of medical emergency...nobody should be in their personal space.
A
thread 5/10
Also remember that kids tend to naturally want to know how things work...and sometimes they put that question to practice. This is where you have to come in with the actual scientific names for everything. You also should explain to them that there's a time and a place for everything.
A
thread 6/10
You should also establish that they don't have to do anything they don't want to do. At the same time you should also be clear that they cannot force anybody to do what they want to. Another uncomfortable situation for parents is that they tend to catch their kids in a compromising position.
A
thread 7/10
Do not under any circumstances freak out. Nor should you threaten, or shame them. CALMLY explain what it is they're doing...and also be clear that they cannot do that in most settings. Y'all are saying "but kids shouldn't be doing that!" Remember what I said, kids by their nature are curious.
A
thread 8/10
They want to know how things work, including their own bodies. If you set the healthy boundaries, and foundations now, they'll be a lot better off. Once they get older, then you can answer honestly questions they have, and explain the why it happens.
A
thread 9/10
If you don't know where to start...go to your family doctor/pediatrician to get help. Remember parents, YOU are your child's first teacher. You should teach them the facts of life in a fair, honest, and age appropriate manner. Just do not insult their intelligence or talk down to them.
A
thread 10/10
Remember this, an educated child is a prepared child. If you use the scientific/correct names for body parts, explain them consent "nobody can be forced to do what they don't want to do." and also telling them to inform you if somebody did something wrong, they'll be more apt to avoid trouble.
Anton Brakhage
A
1/2

The most important thing here, to me, is kids knowing what is or isn't appropriate behaviour, that they can say no, and that if someone does something, they shouldn't feel ashamed or that it's wrong to talk about it.
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
04:16 PM - Nov 07, 2023
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
Correct. When healthy boundaries are set and when Kids are given the why, they'll understand it quite well. Plus kids should never be felt to be ashamed of things that happen naturally.
04:24 PM - Nov 07, 2023 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
2/2

And there's no age too young to learn that, because unfortunately there's no age kids aren't targeted by predators.

You shouldn't want kids to be ignorant of what is inappropriate, or ashamed to report inappropriate behavior.

Calling sex ed "grooming" is a huge red flag for an actual groomer
04:19 PM - Nov 07, 2023
A
You are correct. Actual sex ed is the way to go. Abstinence only isn't, and has caused a ton of STIs/unwanted pregnancies in Teens where it's taught.
05:03 PM - Nov 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}