Dusty Dionne
A
Burning Sage is not cultural appropriation. Greeks burned white sage (their own local variety). Native, American, White Sage is threatened due to unethical harvesting. Grow your own, and enjoy, or buy from native vendors.
02:16 PM - Feb 28, 2023 (Edited)
RA
A
In response to Dusty Dionne.
Native Americans have requested that we not use smudge sticks, as that practice sacred. Our European ancestors mostly used loose bows or cut herb of pine, mugwort, vervain, among others. These were tossed onto a fire. Burning herbs is not the issue; the method and focus on white sage is.
02:24 PM - Feb 28, 2023
Dusty Dionne
A
In response to RA.
I grow my own sage, and I burn it. I have never had a single person tell me I am inappropriate for growing my sage and then burning it, including my friends in the Snohomish Tribe here in the PNW

I would invite you to find me anything that tells people to stop growing their own herbs and using them
02:26 PM - Feb 28, 2023 (Edited)
Dusty Dionne
A
I would also invite you to find me anything written by a Native that is telling people not to buy smudge sticks from Native vendors.

I know your heart is in the right place, but this is a convoluted issue that has a lot of economic repercussions for the Native vendors involved.
In response to Dusty Dionne.
02:30 PM - Feb 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}