Graham Monamy
A
I don't think this will work as I don't have enough followers, and of the ones I have, probably way less software devs... but hey!

What is your biggest challenge as a software developer?

Feel free to post other challenges other than the poll options! #coding #software #coding #developers #coders

Unrealistic deadlines

Poor requirements

Limited budget

Knowledge gaps

50 votes — 03:25 PM - Nov 10, 2023 (Edited)
_++ __X
A
In response to Graham Monamy.
Difficult to pick just one thing, but, biggest problem I'm dealing with right now is too many competing demands on my time. They keep launching new projects without regard to all the projects that haven't finished yet, so we can't get anything done because we're perpetually thrashing on new stuff.
06:31 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Graham Monamy
A
In response to _++ __X.
That's exactly the issue we have, and each week a different one is the priority, so projects that should take 6 months are still rumbling on 2 years later. And in that time management changes, business changes...
08:31 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Bandele Ganiyu
B
I'm not a software developer but I know a few. I'll ask them.
04:50 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Graham Monamy
A
In response to Bandele Ganiyu.
04:51 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Umbrae Soulsbane
A
My take is Poor reqs can be overcome by more involvement from stakeholders and agile dev, Limited budget can be overcome by reducing scope, Knowledge gaps overcome by training. However Unrealistic deadlines is a recipe for failure and rarely does this delusional a leadership come to it senses.
03:59 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Graham Monamy
A
In response to Umbrae Soulsbane.
I accept what your saying, however my experience is somewhat different, stakeholders may not want to be move involved, and I've never been on a project where scope got reduced. However, what you suggest is 100% legitimate
04:07 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Chuck McManis
A
It is more the "give me a deadline" in the face of questions you don't know the answers to. I often push back with "here is the list of questions we have to answer before we can do this, here is the order we're going to ask them, here is the date the first answer should be here."
03:58 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Graham Monamy
A
In response to Chuck McManis.
Yeah, so it's kind of "poor requirements" and "unrealistic deadlines"? Spoiler... that's the two for me and they go hand in hand
04:11 PM - Nov 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}